Makeshift tonearm for under $800

I am currently using a SME 3012 S2 with my Verdier. While it is a recommended combination by JC Verdier himself, I find the combo a bit too "dark" for my tastes. Speaking to some of the other Verdier owners it was confirmed that SME-Verdier is a smooth performer but lacks excitement.

Individually I like both of them a lot, very musical equipments indeed, but I am looking for some more life and excitement in the music. So I have decided to sell the SME tonearm.

I want to some serious research before finalizing my next tonearm. In the mean time I need a makeshift arrangement, a relatively low cost tonearm. I may use it as my second tonearm or may sell it once I have decided my next tonearm upgrade.

Even though a makeshift I would still like to have a tonearm which is quick and lively with natural tones. Preferably a medium mass tonearm which can take most modern cartridges. Budget is about $800.
The options are:

1. Jelco SA-750D/E
2. Rega RB-700 (with upgraded Cardas tonearm cable)
3. Scheu Classic (unipivot)

I would request, please add some reasoning around your recommendation so that I can get some idea about each tonearms capabilities.
pani

Showing 1 response by pbnaudio

The Jelco is a very nice arm, and it mates very nicely with a Denon DL103R cartridge , you could do both new for about your budget target.

Good listening

Peter