Magnum Dynalab FT-101A

Have owned a Magnum Dynalab FT-101A for 28 years and it has been trouble-free. Recently, when I was installing some upgrade audio cables, I encountered some problems with the RCA jacks on the HI output. On a lark, I tried the LO output and was shocked at the improvement in sound quality. The LO output comes directly from the multiplex filter, bypassing the output amplifier (NE5532 opamp) on the HI output. A higher volume control setting was required, but this did not pose a problem as my preamp has plenty of gain. Be aware, however, that the load impedance of the connected equipment (preamp input, etc.) cannot be lower than 47Kohms.

If you have a MD FT-101A (or Etude) and want better sound quality, give the LO output a try. I think you'll be very pleased with the results.
turnbowm
That is a very interesting observation indeed.   It is possible the op amp circuit has some issues, though.

"That is a very interesting observation indeed.  It is possible the op amp circuit has some issues, though."

Other FT-101A owners have found the same thing. My case is NOT an isolated one.

spatialking
273 posts
11-02-2020 10:34pm
"That is even more interesting!  An analog design problem from Dynalab!"

The improved sound quality of the Lo Level output is the result of a simpler analog signal path. I don't consider that a design problem.