Magnum Dynalab 308 drive Magnepan 1.7 or 3.6?

I own a Magnum Dynalab 308 integrated amp (currently being repaired). It states it is 160 watt into 4 ohm. I would like to buy a pair of Maggies. I hear my amp would be fine driving the 1.7s. But maybe not the 3.6s.

I do have a large living/dining combo room that these will be in, wood floors...

Any thoughts? Thanks
ctunney

Showing 2 responses by noble100

Ctunney,
If your amp is 80 watts@8ohms and 160 watts@4 ohms, that is a good indication of a powerful and well designed amplifier since it doubles its power as the resistance is halved. I think 160 watts will drive the 1.7s but, on this forum, it seems the majority believe the more power the better with maggies. I took the advice and drive an older pair of 2.7s with probably an excess of power-400 watts@4ohms. Another important amp feature is how low of an impedance it can handle since most magnepans do dip below 4 ohms at some frequencies. The above is basically a summary of what I learned by reading the forums here on Agon. If you'd like to read them for yourself do a forum search: "amp for maggies" or "magnepan 1.7". Lots of good info. Good luck and enjoy!
Ctunney,

You made excellent choices in acquiring the TAD 150 preamp and the Bryston 4BST amp. The tubed 150 should add a touch of warmth and bloom to the ss Bryston's powerful and detailed presentation. It's also a very good impednce match since the TAD's output impedance is 600 ohms and the Bryston's input impedance is 60k ohms.
The new (to you)amp has plenty of power (400 watts@4 ohms) to drive your future Maggie 1.7 spkrs. Do you know the Bryston carries a 20 year transferrable warranty? Make sure you get all relevant info from the seller and contact Bryson to transfer it to your name.
And by buying your preamp and amp used, they should both be broken in already. But remember the 1.7s will require a break in period of several hundred hours before they sound their best, they may sound a little bright initially, but should sound better and better as they break in.
Well, I think I'm starting to sound like a dealer or spokesman (I'm neither, I swear)so I'll end here by just saying again what a great job you've done on putting your new system together. It all looks very well put together, well matched and synergistic on paper but please post again, after you've set everything up and listened to and ejoyed it for awhile, and give us your thoughts. Have fun.