Magnum Dynalab 308 drive Magnepan 1.7 or 3.6?

I own a Magnum Dynalab 308 integrated amp (currently being repaired). It states it is 160 watt into 4 ohm. I would like to buy a pair of Maggies. I hear my amp would be fine driving the 1.7s. But maybe not the 3.6s.

I do have a large living/dining combo room that these will be in, wood floors...

Any thoughts? Thanks
ctunney

Showing 3 responses by ctunney

Thank you, Noble. I must say that it is taking FOREVER to get the 1.7s. Just got word that I will get them on the 17th. This will be a total of 10 weeks (!) from when I purchased them. Will update after some break in. But for all you prospective Magnepan buyers out there, be prepared to wait! And wait! And WAIT! Magnepan told me that they are currently quoting 6 weeks for the 1.7s, but this was not my experience...
Great. Thanks for the replies so far--makes me feel confident that my amp will drive the 1.7s. (I read so much on here about how much the maggies require, and I am new to this, so just don't know...)

Magfan--1. I usually play at moderate volumes and a littler louder, too. 2. My space is large. It is a living room/dining room combination space that is 15x40. Having a minimum of 3 feet behind the speaker might be tough the way our room is set up. And no I don't have a sub--wasn't thinking of getting one. Just now, anyway...

I have also heard that you can sometimes get away with turning the maggies sideways, which would work better with our furniture...
Thanks for everyone's responses. I have spent a lot (probably too much) time on Audiogon in the last month reading forums and searching for equipment. I ordered the 1.7s 3 weeks ago from my local dealer. My guess is that I will have to wait another month or so to receive them.

And... I bought a Bryston 4B-ST and a TAD 150 Preamp, both used through Agon. From what I read, it sounds like the Bryston should be a safe bet with the Maggies. And I bought the TAD 150 because I wanted to try a tube pre that had a remote and didn't cost more than $1000 (which wasn't that easy for me to find, incidentally). I am planning on selling my Magnum Dynalab soon.

I can't wait to get the 1.7s. Thanks for the advice on placement, Magfan. I wouldn't have guessed to try them "backwards". And I will definitely pull them out as far as they need to go. After putting all the time and money I have into this, I don't want to compromise on the placement even a hair...