Magnum Dynalab 205 FM Signal Sleuth focusing bad?

i recently bought a used Magnum Dynalab Signal Sleuth (model 205). and it has a BIG problem... the focusing control is not working in the right range. for instance, if i were to be listening to the channel 91.5MHz on my Yamaha TX-950 tuner, i would have to set the 205 to about 95-96MHz. so, in other words, it's off by about 4-5MHz. and that is a terrible problem if you want to listen to say, KROQ, which is at 106.7MHz... cause the knob doesn't go above 108MHz, so i can't even use the 205 with that station!

also, another problem is that the gain control is labeled wrong too. it has the 0db position at about 10:00. however, the actualy 0db position is at 12:00. now, this might suggest that the unit is capable of more boost, but somehow the knob or the circuitry it's associated with isn't going high enough.

i dunno....

the guy i bought this from said he sold 2 other units previous to mine, and both had the same problems. so, it seems they're all like this......

you guys have experience with this signal amp?

my equipment: Magnum Dynalab ST-2 antenna, Yamaha TX-950 tuner, Magnum Dynalab 205 Signal Sleuth

thanks,
dean
orfeaus

Showing 1 response by jameswei

I'm using a 205 purchased new in 1996 in front of an Etude. It has not had the problems you describe. Sounds like you have a serious calibration issue that should be handled via warranty. My unit has been helpful in my reception situation -- I'm about halfway between two large East Coast cities, and their signals are fairly weak due to distance. I have a few very strong local station signals that tend to overwhelm the dial. The 205 boosts the weak signals significantly, while not emphasizing the strong locals.