Magnum Dynalab 106T with poor reception...Help

I'm in Amherst, MA, where my car radios pull in a whole slew of stations. My MD 106 T has beautiful sound to die for, but only pulls in ONE station, a strong local NPR. I added a MD whip antenna (ST-2), but all it did was add a few stations with very poor reception. Sure, I had planned on putting up a MD mast antenna outside anyway, in an attempt to get distant stations, but really, shouldn't I reasonably expect to get reception at least as good as a stock car radio?

So, is there a problem with the tuner? Ought it be sent in for occupational rehabilitation?

Also...How does one know when a tube goes bad in a tuner? Static?
ethnos

Showing 1 response by warnerwh

Go to fmtunerinfo.com and learn more about tuners. Also on Yahoo groups go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/FMtuners/
and ask questions. These guys know everything there is to know about tuners. I'll say this: A good modded vintage tuner will blow away the Magnum in sound quality and any other way you want to measure it. My tuner sounds like a cd when the broadcast is using a cd or an lp when the broadcast is using an lp. It's a modded Kenwood Kt 7500 that Jim Rivers modded for me with a yagi antenna on the roof. If I hadn't heard this quality from a "radio" myself I'd have never believed it as I've owned many good tuners. For 350 or 400 bucks you can find modded tuners here and on Ebay occasionally. The poster above is being totally honest with you. A friend of mine bought one of those Magnums and disappointed is what he is. It replaced an old Denon he had (paid 40 at a hock shop) and probably sounds worse and is worse at picking up stations. The old analog tuners modded will open up a new world for you.