Magnepan Owners

Hi - Have any of you ever changed out the standard nickel Midrange or Tweeter jumpers on your Maggie’s with something else. Or have you replaced or bypassed the tweeter/midrange fuses? The reason I’m asking is that I read a review on Absolute Sound where the reviewer did, well at least the jumpers. After looking on the internet I came across a site called Verastarr and they offer a Magnepan kit which includes jumpers and a fuse replacement. The jumpers are Cryo treated 10AWG Silver plated copper in PTFE dielectric. The fuse is replaced with a polished 99.7 pure solid silver hollow tube. I understand the warranty risk with the fuse but wanted to see if anyone has ever tried the above. Supposedly this tweak takes the Maggie’s to another level of performance. I purchased the kit on Audiogon but will most likely just use the jumpers. Please let me know if you have any experience with either.

Cheers
bluesy41
@mikepowellaudio -

I’m totally satisfied and elated with the openness and spacious results I got from the upgrade kit. Crystal clear highs, all the nasally sound is definitely gone. Thanks a lot and forever a fan and customer. I did the complete upgrade/ removed fuses.

Cheers
Ummm...like...well...yeah.  Yes. 

I’ve never, and I mean never, blown a fuse on anything in my life, and unless I’m mistaken my Maggie 1.7i’s are the first loudspeakers I’ve had that employ fuses. I was somewhat hesitant to adhere to the whole megillah “upgrade” in Mike’s kit at first, but after considering how conservative my listening level is I thought that to NOT employ it as it is designed for would be downright silly. 

Replaced the stock fuses with the hollow tubes, slipped in the black jumpers, hooked up the ribbon cables. Easy-peasey. 

Yes, the upgrade, the “tweak”, the mod or whatever you want to describe it as,  improves upon  an already impressive loudspeaker.  Methinks the details are more keenly etched when they should be, the bass articulation is taut, organic, without artifice or bloat, and the mids/highs are, as they were to begin with, magically life-like.  I believe I’m also enjoying a better defined soundscape, particularly on live recordings. 

I don’t know a mosfet from a misfit,  don’t know an electronic microfad from a fashion micro-fad, (such as bell bottoms or man-buns) but I do know this makes a palpable improvement on my 1.7i’s.  They’re just a few weeks old right now and I’m happy as hell. 

@mikepowellaudio
Hi Mike,
I have three questions about how your mod will work on my .7's:

Which of the two elements of your mod yields the most significant improvement, the jumpers or the fuse tubes? 

Or, do they work in tandem and share the duties?

If I'm running a Mills 1 Ohm resistor in place of the jumpers on my .7's will the jumpers bring me back to max treble?

Thanks very much.
ps
Trust me folks it’s an easy upgrade if your not comfortable with removing the back panel that works. I really love how open my Maggie’s are now.

Cheers 
I received the upgrade kit -- I believe this has improved the overall clarity, but especially noticing the bass seems less boomy, and I thought I didn't have boom, haha. I'm using two Vandersteen 2Wq's with the Q set at 2, for those who know. IOW it's a tight setting, not loose or boomy. The kit is well worth the price -- not worried at all about the fuse, I've never blown a fuse in 6 years of owning 1.7.