Magnepan Mods

It appears that they are using upgraded crossovers. I guess I'm confused as to why Magnepan wouldn't offer these upgrades themselves. It's super inefficient to pay for shipping both ways, have someone rebuild it, and then wait a few months to get it back...hopefully with no shipping damage. If Magnepan isn't maximizing their products, it seems like a competitor could make a me too product with a better crossover and a nicer stand option. Am I missing something?  
seanheis1
IIRC, Apogee, (and Carver to some degree) got in trouble because of copying Magnepan’s tweeter. I don’t think it was the actual speaker design itself.

Not sure, but I think that all the patents that Magnepan had have since expired?

There have been others that have tried to copy the Maggies, but never to the extent of taking any business away from them, (I’m assuming here).
Carver did not design those tweeters, designed by Hi-Vi and cloned by even cheaper manufacturers. See bottom post:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/300122-bob-carver-als-system.html

Also, as far as I recall, the Apogee was spectacularly different and difficult to drive compared to the Magnepan and Hi-Vi designs. I've never gotten close enough to inspect Apogee or Magneplanar's so I'll defer to those of you who have.

Best,

E