Magnepan Mods

It appears that they are using upgraded crossovers. I guess I'm confused as to why Magnepan wouldn't offer these upgrades themselves. It's super inefficient to pay for shipping both ways, have someone rebuild it, and then wait a few months to get it back...hopefully with no shipping damage. If Magnepan isn't maximizing their products, it seems like a competitor could make a me too product with a better crossover and a nicer stand option. Am I missing something?  
seanheis1

Showing 3 responses by tom8999

Thanks for the discussion about PG and his modification work on the older Maggie’s. I am running my own comparison I guess. I am in line with PG to get my older 1.6 s modified. I use them in my system in my Bonus room. My main system now uses the 1.7i and I just added the bass panel - DWM. The sound is great, but my Krell integrated amps are having trouble pushing the load - Magnepan recommences putting the bass panel in parallel. Both of my Krell now overheat (KAV 400 and S550i). 
Elizabeth - thanks for the lead to MUG - I learned a lot. Just got my Krell S550i shipped off to Krell for repair to help with my overheating issue. Just put my Krell KAV 400xi in the main system with a Son of Ampzilla II to carry the speakers (ampzilla now pushing the 1.7i and the Krell 400xi pushing the Bass Panel.  OMG - no overheating - now plenty of power to push the Maggie’s - great soundstage, cleaner high end, and all the bottom end I want. Everything sounds NEW!! From Diana Krall to ZZTop. What a great Country!!!

can’t wait for PG to modify my old 1.6s!! Low budget - High Quality Hi Fi - I have died and gone to Heaven!
Ozymandias - if the wire is delaminating I am afraid you are out of luck. I just got my Peter Gunned Maggie 1.6 qrs back from John. I am the original owner of the 1.6s and they have been ‘babied ‘ since I got them 10 to 12 years ago. I had no delam issues and we did the full modification - the key improvement from my Peter Gun 1.6s is the midrange vocals are amazing. Bass is better too, and the frames are beautiful. The mod cost me $3,000. Worth every penny but not cheap. Per John - I should get 8 to 10 years out of them.

My main system uses my 1.7is and I added a Maggie’s base panel to them. I had to bi amp the speakers to get them to drive well. My bass issues are gone with the 1.7is now. Total speaker costs (1.7i plus bass panel DWM) is $3,000. But they are brand new.

hope this helps.

Happy Listening