Magnepan, Best midrange?

Other than Horns of course.
A few days ago on another audio forum, someone mentioned *why don't you ck out Magnepan??**
I wrote back, seems magnepan is OOB.
He was a  bit upset at my lack on reserach.
SEems Magnepan is still alive and well.
In fact there may bea  back log for the LRS 
Like months back order
Man , not sure why NO ONE here mentioned magnepan's???
Could this be the speaker I've been searching for some 20 years now??
Sure sensitivity is wayyy off my 92db sens limit. 
@ a  miserable 86db sens
However, conisdering the panel is 10x's the size of dual W18's + a  6.5 DavidLouis Full Range + a    Seas Cresendo, all added up, still is less voicing surafce area vs a the Manepan.

I'll run the W18's as bass, If I need extended highs, I'll add a  pair of Cresendos.
WOW and under 
$1G
Alott less, like $650!!!!!!!
Good thing here is, I have a  Defy7, power to spare for magnepan's demanding current draw.
Here is a  YT vid showing how you can modify the magnepan,, I;'ve not watched it yet, will do so today.
This Hifi Guy is the best hifi geek on Youtube.
He knows his stuff and has experiemented in countless speaker designs.
He's da man.
I can 't wait to get my LRS.

And gets even better, Made in the USA,, UNREAL.
If the LRS performs as hoped.
I will make a  long series of Youtube  videos, putting this speaker on the map,  promoting the Maggie as The Worlds Finest speaker.

Ck out all YT reviews of the Magnepan.
Every review gives 2 big thumbs up, 
Try to   that on any speaker on the market. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KzmktPjk5o&t=535s
mozartfan
@douglas_schroeder, You can look at a bus and know right away that it won't fly even though it is a mode of transportation. You have enough experience to know this. I can look at some speakers and know were their worst flaws are and what they are going to do. Some speakers have fatal flaws, flaws that I can not personally live with or maneuver around.
Many people like their TVs set with over saturated colors. Looks cool but is not realistic. Same with HiFi. The problem is that you know right away you are listening to a reproduction. 
As for dynamics you are 1/2 right and 1/2 wrong. Panel speakers like large ESLs can make bass but they suck at it and fall flat when it comes to low end dynamics. I always thought I could maneuver around that problem with subwoofers. It took 20 years of farting around and digital electronics to lick that problem. As for the rest of the range large ESLs are every bit as dynamic as horns just much less efficient. The snap of a Sonor snare drum is something special to hear on ESLs. They can do this because of the very large size of the panel and their acoustic impedance is close to that of air. Planar magnetics and ribbons are a compromise especially when you start adding crossovers in the midrange. Dynamic driver haven't got a prayer in hell. Distortion is magnitudes higher, they are an impedance mismatch to air, they spray sound all over the place usually indiscriminately and they are severely range limited requiring crossovers not to mention the problems you get into with enclosures. The only advantage they have is size, a huge advantage. The only place they excel over other types is in the deep bass at very long wavelengths. 
The little Maggies do have great midrange considering the price. Given the right amplifier and a decent subwoofer system I can imagine performance exceeding that of most dynamic speaker, certainly anything near their price. 
I like panel loudspeakers for well defined reasons. Modern 8 foot ESLs are handily the best panel loudspeakers. You have to be able to live with the size. As the previous owner of Tympany's, my current speakers are tiny:-)
@ douglas_schroeder
I am very flattered to have elicited such a reaction.
But a little over the top, right?
For my part, I have found the loudspeakers (Maggies) that live up to my expectations (especially in the midrange frequencies that are most important to me - the title of this thread) and at a price that my bank account can afford. And now I listen to the music I love in peace.
This is what matters in the end.
Bye now!
leaving aside the click bait thread title and @douglas_schroeder ’s commentary (which i agree with in substance, if not in tone), i would venture to say that there are speakers available at modest cost (used) that certainly compare well to, if not exceed, the midrange transparency of little maggies

spendor bc1
spendor sp1 or sp1/2
proac super tablette

are just some examples... overall different presentations of course, but if we are just talking midrange purity, bbc heritage monitors take a back seat to none (and i would say, are substantially easier to drive too)...

" only the best will do ... must have the best, not second best, not third best, the BEST"
and for some reasons you think the best is the Seas drivers or whatever you think today, via youtube listening sessions, decide which is best.

fact is, there’s many many just as good midrange drivers.

passlabs tested dozens of midrange drivers and he ended up with audax pr170mo. why? cause its one of the only midrange that are 97db efficient. these are the best for his high efficiency system. does he claim its the best driver in the world, nope.

yet you, who havent tested more then 3 drivers, claim all sort of ridiculous stuff.

hshifi
347 posts
07-24-2021 7:53pm
Hello,
Maggies don’t do well on the heavy bass

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Magnepan's have issues.

It surprises me how popular these speakers , have been and still are in demand.
~~VERY~ amazed

Here isa  speaker that will out shoot any magnepan in a  NY second

Bass YES
Mid YES
Highs YES
Easy load for any tube amp. 
Magnepan is blown out the water in all departments.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224515675545?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D2016...