Magnepan and room size, room placement

I have always been a fan of Maggies, but never an owner.  I am thinking about them again.  One of my issues has always been room size, specifically as it relates to the rule/recommendation that the speakers be placed 3 feet from the front wall.  I get the scientific argument about dipoles and the rear sound radiation.

first, let me clarify that I am thinking about the 1.7i or the 0.7, not the big ones.  Probably the 0.7. 

my room is about 10x10.  With a listening sofa of about 30 inches deep along the back wall, if I put the speakers 3 feet from the front wall, the speaker to listener distance is less than 5 feet.  Even less if the 3 feet is a minimum. My current speakers (Proac monitors on stands) sit about 20 inches from the front wall.  This location was arrived at through much trial an error, and really is a sweet spot.  Having said that, I am willing and able to spend some time playing around with position of the Maggies to find their sweet spot.

but my question really is, just how important is the 3 foot rule/recommendation? Does much of the sound waves really get cancelled out?  Does anyone have experience with Magnepan closer the the wall (18-24 inches) ? What aspect of the sound do you know from experience (or would suspect) would be most compromised by being too close to the front wall?

While the obvious answer is a home demo, talking on the phone to my two local dealers (in Chicago burbs and Madison, Wisconsin) indicate that a home demo is not possible to to their concerns of transportation damage to the large speakers, as I live 1-1/2 hour drive from either.  

thanks for your help,

Bill

meiatflask
With planar dipoles the room is extremely important, so I'm afraid what you have been reading online is not misleading. The sooner and louder you get reflections off the wall behind the speakers, the more they were interfere with the clarity of the sound. And the later and quieter (i.e. farther away) the speakers are, the better the result.

This does mean you can increase the effective distance and reduce the effective volume by using sound absorption behind the speakers. You will hear an immediate and obvious change to the sound placing wide-spectrum acoustic absorption panels behind, and this would let you push them closer to the wall.
Nekoaudio-  I was actually wondering about such an approach.  Do you have specific a “wide spectrum acoustic absorption” brand or type in mind, or is there a DIY solution?  I currently use rolled up carpets in the front corners, and overstuffed pillows above the couch on the back wall.  Will something as simple as these work?
I don’t me the carpet or pillows that I am currently using, but is there a simple DIY solution of common items, or easy to buy and make?