Magnepan 3.7i with two (2) DWMs with Pass Labs XA100.5

I recently upgraded by speaker cables between my Pass Labs XA100.5 and Magnepan 3.7i and a pair of DWMs. I've tried connecting the DWMs both in parallel and in series (using the DWMs crossovers).  I moved from Kimber 12TC to Audience Au24 SE.  This change added more detail and transparency.

Interesting when running in parallel (i.e., the 3.7i and DWM each connected directly to one of the XA100.5's two connections), the XA100.5 quickly left A-class.

Having the each cable around and given the nature of the DWM, I tried running the system both parallel and in series on the same system.  In other words, I was using all four sides of the two DWMs.  I wouldn't say that the XA100.5 couldn't handle it (opinion welcome, read on), but it was quickly out of A-class.  The meter would swing back and forth.  The interesting thing, is that I lost the Pass Labs sparkle.  Bass was very powerful and could be felt.  Yet it was almost muddy for the loss of a better word. Was the loss of mid-range magic, the XA100.5 running out of steam?
tgonzales

Showing 1 response by gkr7007

Yeah, the way you have them wired you are definitely putting a strain on those monos.  I have the 3.7s and used to run them with a Pass 250.5.  Tried the DWM's and never did get used to them. Tried several subs (some pretty expensive too) and just couldn't find the right integration.
Finally tried an inexpensive Martin Logan and it was great.  Non ported and built to work with ML Electrostats so it was fast enough and very accurate.  I never looked back.  BTW..... Just a quick note.  Take out those steel jumpers on the back panel and listen for a very large change in detail and dynamics.  I happened to use Anticables but anything is better than the steel.