Magnepan 3.7

Looks nice, link below.

“the 3.7 is a 3-way, full-range ribbon speaker with a very ‘fast’ quasi-ribbon midrange and true ribbon tweeter.”

"The 3.7 is available in new aluminum trim or our traditional wood trims of oak and cherry. Fabric options are off-white, black and dark gray. Suggested list pricing starts at $5495/pair for aluminum or oak versions, or $5895/pair for the dark cherry versions."

Magnepan 3.7
james63

Showing 2 responses by sthomas12321

qOUTE:
01-07-11: Chadeffect
James63,

they fixed that delamination issue with a new 3m glue about 10 years ago. In the market for one now?

Not true at all. I have owned many later (even 2006 and newer) models, and they still have this issue. I dont think many people even realize it. I have personally caught two pairs of Magnepans making noises that the owner never even picked up on. The issue is still alive and well.

We will find out about the 1.7's, and 3.7's....but if they are just glued on...there will always be some cases of delam. They need to find a way to get them bonded(melted or between two layers) into the Mylar IMO. But I dont understand the physics, or "engineering" of this.
01-07-11: James63
I am not in the market for a pannel speaker.... I just like reading the news. I have heard the entire magnepan line at length. I like them but could never get over the iffy build quality. Hopfully the "ribbon" helps reduce delaminating issues (more surface area per weight to glue).

With that being said I think the 3.7s have potential

Exactly why I sold my Magnepans and lost interest. They sound incredible, but the delaminination is rediculous. I am well aware how to repair these, but I shouldnt have to. Magnepan needs to find a way to bond to the mylar. I am sure there is a much better way then glue.

I would only buy Magnepan if they could ever fix this. Just my opinion.