Magnepan 1.7 w/ Tubes & lots of Class D Power

Recently I stepped down from Martin Logan Summit Xs to Magnepan 1.7s. Was it a step down? Yes. Less of everything from the Xs (except warmth), but not bad and actually pretty good.

I am running the 1.7s with a Rogue Audio Athena (tube) preamp with upgraded Mundorf Silver Oil Capacitors and Wyred 4 Sound SX-1000 (class d) monoblocks. A Lexicon RT-20 Universal Disk player is my primary source. I also use a Velodyne SPL-1200 sub.

I do not see a lot of these types of set ups. Actually, most "audiophiles" that I encounter frown on the entire system. To each their own. I love it. Open and clean with lots of seperation and detail. And incredibly smooth and warm. Anyone else out there with a similar set up?

Any tweeks for the 1.7s? I am thinking of changing the fuses and jumpers.
tabascocat1994

Showing 1 response by davide256

Don't waste your money on jumpers for the 1.7... when you remove the speaker jack panel you can easily direct connect the wires together on the back of the panel eliminating a useless jumper that adds coloration when used. Do replace the capacitors in the crossover with better ones, they come with a 10uf Axon for the "super" tweeter, and a combination of 4 for the mid range (6.8 ERSE, 10 R.T.I, 25 Axon, 75 no-name in uf values). I've replaced the 6.8 with a Mundorf Supreme, and the 75 with an Axon resulting in better percussion sounds, and greater depth in tone color details. I have clarity caps on order for the super tweeter 10uf to try to get more resolution /sweetness in the extreme treble. Haven't figured out yet where to get a quality 1.4mh copper foil inductor for the bass as thats an uncommon value. Dueland makes them but $360 a side is pretty steep.