Magnepan 1.7 to 3.7i or Pass Labs XA60.5 to X100.5

I'm in the process of upgrading my system and facing a choice. Currently I'm using an pass labs amplification (XONO, X1, XA60.5) feed by Michell Gyro, SME IV and Shelter 90x and ending with Maggie 1.7 (mye sound stands).

I've listened to both 3.7i and Wilson Sabrina, Sashas, all of which could benefit from a bit more amp.

I have a dedicated music room (12x10) and listen to late sixties classic rock, country rock, folk as well as Cash, Owen country and vocal jazz.

I have trade-up value for the 1.7 at my dealer as well trade-up value on the XA60.5. I could probably stretch to a demo pair XA160.5 but am concerned without a dedicated power outlet I'm taxing the system. Also by the way, I don't tend to push the system beyond a bit past midpoint on the pre-amp, although the XA60.5 class-A meter dances about on complex crescendos.

Two question. Upgrade amp or speakers first assuming only one change for the next 12 months? If the amp, is the XA100.5 enough of a jump?
tgonzales

Showing 3 responses by tgonzales

Thanks for thoughts. I never thought of the room as small, but I guess it's all relative. Not that it matters, but I actually took the time to measure it. It's actually 18' x 15'. The only reason I was thinking of 3.7i rather than 1.7 was the added quality of full range ribbon.

I have considered adding DMW base panels or a powered sub as you mentioned.
Dealer: Audio Consultants

As for opening the door, the room does not have a door. The opening is essentially a double doorway.

Subs may be the way to go. Thanks again.
Other posters have mentioned that the X60.5 are sufficient to drive the 3.7. Phone calls with my dealer, pass labs and magnepan all seem to suggest the same. All they all said more is better.

As the prove of the pudding is in the tasting, I plan on taking my amps to the dealers and simply trying it out. The problem was the magnepan and pass labs dealers are different.