Magicos are chesty

admit it.

E
erik_squires
Having sold, installed and set up dozens of Magico Speakers, from the A3 to the Q7. We have to disagree. When time is spent to get the correct setup distance from the back wall, from the side walls, the separation between the speakers as well as the amount of toe-in Magico is not a "chesty" speaker. This is not just our opinion, our room measurements do not indicate an emphasis on the frequency range that your referencing. 
Properly placed and optimized you will get incredible results. Anything less, look at the room and the setup.
I havent heard enough Magicos under optimal conditions to decisively comment but my guess is that the Magicos are revealing more of the true sound in the recording than other speakers you have heard. Most dynamic speaker stink with distortions some of which are the result of thin resonating cabinets. It takes some serious listening to get to the point where you can distinguish between pleasant distortions and more accurate reproduction. Problem with many is that they confuse preference over truth. I sincerely believe that the best speaker for the individual is the one that they prefer, but spend some time listening to Harbeths (as an example) and then go to a speakers with inert cabinets, first order crossovers, proper time alignment, sealed enclosures, etc and you get an entirely different sense of the music. Reproduced music should not sound homogeneous.
My Magico Mini 2 and Q3 never sounded "chesty" to me or anyone who has heard my system.  I listen to a lot of vocals.  I do not have a lot of experience with the S series, having only heard the S1, S5, and S7 at dealerships, but the S5 mk2 at a reviewer's house sounded superb with no "chesty" sound on vocals.  

It seems like a strange artifact or coloration you heard.  Have you ever heard a well set up pair of Magicos in a private home?
My Magico S3MK2 speakers are very accurate and uncolored and a bad recording , well, it will sound like a bad recording.  I did play the Chris Isaak tune 5-15 and other similar stuff like Tony Joe Whites Rain Crow and they sound balanced in my system.
@dguitarnut

Interesting! Maybe it was the room I listened to them then. The dealer had done his own acoustics, and quite possible he sucked out all the wrong frequencies.
More to discover