Magico Mini 2 vs Kharma Midi Exquisit vs MBL 101s

If price were not a consideration and you could have any upstream electronics you choose, in 16 by 22 room, which of the following speakers would you choose and why? Magico Mini 2 , Kharma Midi Exquisite, MBL 101 E, or the Sonus Faber Amati Annaversary.
husk01

Showing 7 responses by dev

I was reading this thread along with others regarding Magico speakers and as usual everyone has there fav's. I currently own MBL 101E's and recently recieved a pair of Magico 2's and have to say what's all the fuss?

I had three others over to hear them, they are supose to be all this and that. These same idividules have heard my MBL set-up along with other set-ups in the past, we are all just left scatching our heads wondering what every one else is hearing because they don't even come close to what the MBL 101E's. I can go into great detail but why? possibly the other Magico speakers within the line would be better for comparision.

I have to ask as there have been alot of opions here, have any of you who are responding with your opinion actually owned MBL 101E's or had them in your own system and then got a pair of these other speakers and compared directly as I have just done because this just isn't making any sence to me as the difference is just to far apart how does one compare. I guess if you put the Magico's in a small room or with sub's but if I had such a room my choise of speakers would not be MBL 101E's.

I like the look of Kharma speakers but that's about it, anytime I listen to them I find them very fatiguing and when I go and listen to live music performances it's not that way to me so somethings wrong.
Nothing personal but the comments made regarding MBL 101E speakers is laughable and so far off it's ridiculous but that's okay as we all have our own opinions.

Regarding the Magico Mini 2's, I have to say by far they are the biggest disappointment to date I have had in this audio hobby. I actually own a pair do you own MBL 101E's or ever had them in your own system? I'm sure you haven't, I have nothing to gain but to only share with others of my findings. Every person so far who has heard them in my place has had the same opinion which is left us all scratching our heads wondering what is all the hype about and what are you guys hearing. I'm not saying they are not good two ways but come on they no way compete with MBL 101E's, I could go in to detail but why? In addition the list price for these only being a two way is ridiculous! and no way worth it.

Direct comparisons were done only swapping out the speakers using the following gear; ARC REF3 pre., CAT JL3 Sig. MK2 mono blocks, Accustic Arts Hybrid dac, Oracle 2000 transport, cables SP's Stealth Dream, IC's Stealth Indra's, PC's Stealth Dream. DC's Stealth Sextet
Hi Sirspeedy it's okay I don't take it personally, but these forums are to help each other out and when someone responds as you did it needs to be addressed.

Just to let you know I bought the Magico Mini 2's recently looking at downsizing the current set-up in which the MBL's are present and was told these speakers would be a perfect fit along with also looking at buying the Dartzeel amp and pre to go along with the set-up to make it very simple. If you go to for sale items and type in MBL 101E's you will see my set-up and that I have already sold the CATs.

What size is your friends room? and what associated gear is hooked up?

If you read read my threads I don't believe I was kicking them very hard as you put it but just giving my own over all opinion with out going into great detail as I own both MBL and Magico.

I agree with you both are crazy priced but look at the the technology in the MBL's and then look at the Magico Mini 2's and how much they cost, wow! It just does not make any sense.

If you look at the title of this thread "Magico Mini 2 vs Kharma Midi Exquisit vs MBL 101s" I was responding to it.

If you also read I say the Magico Mini 2's are a good 2-way but no way can you compare them to the MBL 101E's and along with this you will see I refer to them needing to be used in a smaller room which I believe sums it all up.

Regarding the MBL's, you are most defiantly open to your own opinion but you have never heard my set-up. No room is perfect even if it is built to spec. and the room my MBL's are in is not my designated room. No speaker is perfect either and all have faults some with less and some with more.

In closing when you said;

"Not a fair fight,and I have no doubts you will be happier with what you own(yes,I may have gone a bit overboard in my MBL knock...sorry)!"

sums what I was trying to convey all along.
Wow! what a statement, MBL's are "A fun system indeed but not for any serious listening" Making such only demonstrates you obviously don't like MBL's which is okay but doing so is an insult to any MBL owners such as myself and clearly demonstrates your lack of credibility. There is no best out there, all speakers have their strengths and weakness as do your M3's. M3's aren't all that and I personally have no desire to own a pair.
When I read comments such as "MBL's remind me of two weeks ago,when I was at a gorgeous wedding,but sitting way too close to the band." and "Anyone in an urban environment,and without the vast spaces of the great outdoors will love the Minis....PERIOD!!!....I'm being totally honest...they are really that good,unless you simply have to play Pink Floyd's DARK SIDE OF THE MOON at concert levels....Then I understand some other design." and "I had a great time,but came home with a slight headache."

You obviously have never heard a pair of MBL's in a real world situation which is in someones home set-up properly, your comments are laughable. When I read such it only demonstrates to me credibility issues and then voicing your listening experiences from shows or possibly showroom set-ups and not at any ones home or a personal evaluation come on. We went over this previously and it's okay not to like the MBL's but when you suggest you have to listen to them at concert levels please.

I mentioned before I bought a pair of Magico's and was very disappointed in all the hype scattered here and the price outrages. Magico Mini's are way over priced for a two way and the M3's is nothing to get excited about either, that's my opinion and I actually owned a pair. I went over to the person's home who bought them from me wanting to have another listen as they were being set-up in a much smaller environment. I actually went over with three other individuals who own different speakers than the Magico's and MBL's, they all have really nice set-ups and have heard my set-up many times also. The Mini's sounded okay but still left me scratching my head wondering what all the hype is about. I admit they did sound better than at my place but no way do they come close to the experience of a pair of well set-up MBL 101E's period, the three individuals also agreed along with the actual owner no comparison.

Lastly this is a hobby and these forums are to assist but when personally attacking what someone owns is wrong.

No problem Sirspeedy, yes MBL needs to lower the volume at shows so people truly can experience what the speakers can do but there still would be an issue and that being MBL gear driving them, not a fan of MBL amps.

Roypan I'm a personal user in the hobby and have no hidden agenda only say it the way it is, I never put the Magico's up for sale on Audiogon and you just contacted me out of the blue. You have no feedback and your reply seemed like you were a dealer or had another agenda, didn't really matter to me anyways I already had a buyer if I wanted to sell them within my district. Regarding my MBL's for sale you should read threads prior to this one of mine and it is clearly stated why but then again I was polite enough to have already answered your personal email to me regarding this.

Regarding reviews, shows, and showrooms I do not know which one is worse and if this is how you compare wow!

Husk01, to date the MBL 101E's are my favourite speakers and if I was not down sizing this set-up I would not be selling them so I just don't know?

I bought a pair of Magico Mini's on a recommendation that they would work well in my room but unfortunately that just did not happen.