Magic Diamond vs Airtight PC1?

In my quest for a new cartridge I seem to be narrowing my choice down to a Magic Diamond vs Airtight PC1. I have not been able to hear either of these so I am looking for any insight anyone can provide. I will be using the cartridge on a VPI TNT IV with an Eminent Technology 2.4 tone arm with the high pressure manifold. I am running dual mono with two Krell KPA Phono preamps. Thank you for any input.
128x128krc

Showing 5 responses by sirspeedy70680e509

As much as I cannot wait for feedback,on the PC-1,the only real way to get a good feel for ANY comparisons is to hear it for ourselves.Playing familiar LP's.Just an opinion.
Slipknot,great stuff,as usual.The site you provided was fun to view,as well.I can clearly see the Magic Diamond as a viable product offering,but a cartridge called "VIRUS"????That might scare me off -:)
Best!
Though the PC-1 is getting some good press,the Transfiguration Orpheus just got a RAVE review in Hi Fi News,FWIW!My friend has it,and I have heard it enough times,now,to know it CLEARLY trounces the Tempers,which I happen to own(sorry Neil -:)!I have heard the Magic Diamond,and it was quite good.I heard it with my "own" Decca LP's,and it really brought out what I like about those irreplaceable recordings.
I am just a bit sceptical as to the PC-1,as the company has not released any previous models(I think),and suddenly almost all the mainstream reviewers(even those in Great Britain)are listing it as a reference."THAT GOOD",first time out of the blocks,usually states...1-New breakthrough design,or...2-Something relating to reviewer perks!
I hope it is #1!!I,too,am looking "hard" at both the Orpheus,as well as the PC-1!
Best of luck!!
Krc,different set-ups,on different days.NO way to make a valid comparison!The Magic Diamond made "my" LP's,which I brought sound like what a DECCA should sound like!A fine cartridge,IMO.I remember saying to myself,it had a very good sense of stage width,knowing my LP's were recorded in Kingsway Hall.Nice harmonic and tonal balance,which is a very important area to me.Many hobbyists get too caught up in bass and dynamic flow.The tonal shadings can make or break Classical music,which I like alot.So the Magic Diamond impressed "this" hobbyist,which means little.Though my friend felt the same way.
The Temper is a superb cartridge,and I can easily compare it to the Orpheus,having a dear friend who had both.I set up his original Temper,and have recently re-voiced his Orpheus for him,since he got a new arm.I've heard both "tons" of times.
The Orpheus is more dynamic,has a better stage,and has better detail resolution,compared to the Temper-V.It can flesh out more subtle detail,than the Temper-V,and has better timbral balance.Particularly in the "treble region".This is one area I particularly care about,in the Temper vs Orpheus.I would say the difference is very similar to comparing "very good" phono tubes to "superb" lower noise phono tubes.
I have NO idea how it compares to the other great cartridges on the market.There are SO many good ones,that it is almost silly to get too caught up in which is best.As long as the arm/table combo is OK!
Best!
Slipknot,I cannot thank you enough for the post from Pos Feedback,re:the letter.
Absolutely great stuff!!
BTW,it seems clear that these Magic Diamond products are WAY under the radar,and seeminly intentional!Low volume sales usually means attention to detail.I'm always willing to learn,and surely have done so here,in gaining more perspective.This does not mean that we run out and buy the product,but we can ALWAYS add to our "little inner computer memory"(mine is small),and call on the data at some point down the road.Buying decisions should take many factors into consideration, and at least with me thay certainly do.
Best!