Maggie speakers and bi-amping

Hello,

I've heard that the 3.7 speakers are far superior to previous models.
However I've also found that bi-amping Maggies also brings out great improvement and the 3.7's do not allow bi-amping.
I realize that reviewers would not compare these options but it seems more relevant to me if you already have two amplifiers (paid for.)
It would be nice to go to a dealer to compare but I've found that dealer's rooms are generally too small to listen to the larger Maggie speakers.
Does anyone have an opinion on the sound qualtiy of the 3.7 with a single amplifier versus older 3 series Maggies bi-amped (preferable in a large room)?
nottop

Showing 3 responses by stickman451

I would pesonally go with a nice pair of used 3.6's. The 3's are head and shoulders better than the 1's IMO. Bigger soundstage, better balance between the drivers, and they will fill your room with a bigger more realistic sound. How big is your room? You need to get the 3.6's several feet out into your room; at least three feet or so, five or six is better.

Most important thing with a Maggie is to us a good quality, powerful amplifier...
I am wondering why Magnepan went the non-biwire and non-biamp route with the new 3.7's and 20.1's? I have 3.6's and will consider moving to either the 3.7's or maybe even the 20.7's. I haven't heard the 20.7's yet of course, nor have I ever heard a pair of 20.'1s. I have heard the 3.7's at shows and was reasonably impressed, but before I would buy I would want to hear them in my dedicated listening room at home.

Many Magnepan users that I have spoken with say that the biggest challenge in using the 20.1's is having enough amp to drive them properly. (I am currently using the Cary 500 mb with great results on my 3.6's - 1,000 watts into 4ohms and 72 amps peak power). If this cannot properly drive a pair of 20's then what do you get; an arc welder? Still would like to know why Magnepan switched-up and took away the biwire and biamp provisions on the new series?
Many users have that same feeling, so it seems odd to me that Magnepan choose to disable that option in the "7" series.