Maggie MMG

I heard these at someones office and couldn't believe what I was hearing. I've heard some decent speakers but for the price, holy cow! I swear the stage was as wide as the room and the musicians were right there. I'm considering a pair but here's the deal. I didn't listen for long and it was classical. While I do listen to a bit of classical and most all genres, I'm mostly a rock & roll guy. Do these do well with Rock? I have a decent DefTech sub I can pair them with. I like to crank it up at times as well.
So what do you guys think abuot this? Should I move on or might these do the trick?
Thanks for your input.
griffinconst
Macdadtexas, that's interesting that you find the MMG's good for rock. What are some examples of albums that sound good through the MMG's? It makes sense that if you're listening to compressed music, then the MMG's might not show some of their downsides.

I tried the MMG's with groups such as Vertical Horizon (one of my favorite rock/alternative bands), REM, Tears for Fears, and Coldplay. My sense was that they were lifeless and lacking in dynamics. Maybe it's just what I've become calibrated to. My amp is an Innersound ESL 300 so lack of ability to drive the Maggies should be taken out of the equation.

The bottom line is that I greatly preferred my Audio Physic speakers to the MMG's for most types of music. Then again, the retail price of the Audio Physics back in their day was nearly 7 times as much as the MMG's, so that does need to be taken into consideration.

Michael
When I had an Innersound ESL (what a great amp), I had it driving 1.6qr's and then 3.6R's, both with great effect.

I never listen to compressed music of any kind.

I probably go 90% vinyl, then the other 10% is lossless files through a very good DAC (after auditioning about 10 different DAC's).

I don't know what the deal is, I have had MMG's, that's what I started with, and I have tried many other speakers as well. I always end up coming back to Maggies.

All of my current set up is listed.

I think rock sounds great, I just played Van Halen, Black Sabbath - Paranoid and AC/DC -Back in Black (all on vinyl), and I can tell you, they all absolutely rocked. Huge sonics, massive impact, and crystal clear.

But that's my set up. I have never gotten any box speaker into my system that I could live with. I have heard some great ones to be sure, just not my taste.

Although, a buddy that has a Mac/Klipshchorn/Technics sp-10 setup rocks the world very well, and I have seriously thought of going that direction for a change. I do love the sound of the Klipschorns and the other's in the Klipsch Heritage line. Older JBL's as well.
Thanks for all the great info guys. Definitely a big help.
I have been doing a lot of study on my own as well and have a few more questions.
I can only place them 2 1/2 feet off the wall behind them, maybe I could stretch it to 3 feet but no more. I've always been confused if that's considered the front or back wall, I've heard it called both. Also, I would be driving them with an Onkyo 805 (130 wts). It's a receiver but supposed to have a good amp section. I could replace it in a few years but will it make the MMG's sing until then?
If anyone has other suggestions for speakers in the same price range that will equal or surpass the MMG's for my situation, I'm listening.
Thanks again for all the help.
buy a pr of Klipsch Heresy's used for $500 and use your sub..They are much better than people think and you can easily improve them by damping the horns or upgrading the crosover