Maggie 1.2's Low End Crossover Upgrade

I recently purchased a new pair of Magnepan 1.2’s which I am enjoying very much. The tweak bug has bitten me and I have made some adjustments already.
First, I got the Maggies to stand vertical, which improved the overall soundstage. Second, I have bypassed the fuse, which has improved the clarity of the treble.
The third tweak I am considering is to replace the low end crossover parts. Specifically I have been looking at:
http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue4/magnapan3.htm
There is some pretty good literature written by an Ed Morawski that suggests the low end crossover change will improve the bass and slam. The instructions seem pretty straight forward.
Have any Maggie 1.2 owners completed this crossover change?
Was it hard to complete? I have changed out capacitors in Large Advents so I am assuming that it is not too difficult.
Were there difficulties in physically placing the new crossover parts? Is it possible to keep them in the same place as the old parts under the sock or do you have to mount them externally?
What were the sonic results? Did it make the Maggies sound better?
Any other thoughts?
dsper

Showing 1 response by josh358

If you've raised them vertical, you should be getting a huge deep, wide soundstage. If you aren't, it may be because of room acoustics.

Bass extension can be improved by a) playing with placement, both of the speakers and yourself; b) playing with bass traps if you're suffering from cancellation (a null right at the bottom of the bass range will truncate bass extension; c) bracing the speakers so they don't sway -- do a search for Mye stands, the real ones are pricey for this application but you can make something similar yourself, preferably from metal but oak will do. Mye type stands will also improve imaging somewhat. Beyond that, I think you have to go to a larger model, or add a sub. I gather the Maggie woofer will be available for $1000 in basic trim, it's apparently good to about 40 Hz, but if that's outside your budget a small sealed sub will work.

None of which has anything to do with your crossover question, I know, but I'm afraid the only thing I know about that is that many have reported a sonic improvement with better caps and inductors.