Mag Lev Turntable. Your Thoughts?

One is for sale on Audiogon. Very cool BUT, I can think of a bunch of potential problems. My instinct says it is showmanship but not having actually played with one who knows? Anybody have any experience with the Mag Lev?
The first problem would be that magnetic fields are not solid. They are squishy. What happens when you play different weight records. What about a record clamp? The tonearm is fixed to the plinth. If the height of the platter changes the VTA changes. If the platter bounces at all it will cause rather rapid speed variations. What about those powerful magnetic fields right under cartridges. Looking at the video the platter certainly is not machined very well.
Is it really worth the trouble. Good tables make very little noise. 99% of it is coming from the record itself. My inclination is that the platter should be on a solid footing.
128x128mijostyn

Showing 4 responses by cd318

The Mag-Lev ML1 has certainly ruffled a few audiophile feathers, but the feeling is they are definitely curious but not convinced.

I wonder if it would be possible to float the arm in a similar fashion whilst increasing stability? Or is that just begging for trouble?

The current specs for the Mag-Lev ML1 are indeed pretty impressive - 

Wow and flutter: < 0.17%
Signal-to-noise ratio:-73dB

But they cannot match those phenomenal ones of the latest Technics decks.

Wow and flutter: 0.025%
Signal-to-noise ratio:-78dB

And that's just the base models.

The top of the range Technics turntables are almost only borderline measurable -maybe already well past the point where they need to be.

Impressive stuff indeed, but they still can't fly like the Mag-Lev!
Intriguing it is, spectacularly so. Without having heard it I'd guess it's as good as anything under $1000. Why wouldn't it be?

If it can be made to work properly it could get rid of two of vinyl's inherent bugbears (rumble + wow and flutter) in one stroke.

Isolation of the platter/record from the outside world has been a perennial challenge for all designers from almost day one. Everything from rubber/springs to reverse thrust magnetic bearings has been tried. 

I think audiophiles will naturally be suspicious of anything as radical or as visually dramatic as the Mag Lev ML1.

Perhaps the Mag-Lev MLS as shown on the website is the one aimed at serious audiophiles? 

https://www.maglevaudio.com/mag-lev-mls/

@folkfreak , good link. Glowing review with lots of positive signs already. Interesting also to read the following:

"I also know companies around the world are looking at upgrades for the ML1 and the engineers at Maglevaudio.com are also working late hours to improve performance."

One obvious area would be to improve the wow and flutter measurements, which are given at .17%. The signal to noise figures of -73dB are impressive, but that's to be expected with no bearing present.

All manual turntables are a faff, but at least this one gives you ample time to get comfortably seated as well as not worry about unnecessary stylus wear if you fall asleep (say during a marathon Steely Dan session for example).

Definitely one to watch. 
I can only wish them and their backers well for attempting something SO radical. Bearing noise - what bearing noise?

Hopefully the price drop indicates that an improved MK2 version is on the way soon. Still won't please everyone but that's audiophiles for you.

For others the Mag-Lev may give you an inkling of the feeling that people must have had upon hearing radio for the first time, or even the gramophone.

You see it but you still have a hard time believing it. These are (still) the days of miracle and wonder.