Mag 3.6R or 20.1 , Sanders & Montana EPS2

After 20 years of void & darkness, I set out this new audio venture thinking Maggie 3.6R is all I ever needed.

But after driving 200 miles to listen a pair of Maggie 3.6R, my soul wasn't satisfied.

So, I went to Las Vegas T.H.E. show.
I wanted to listen to a pair of Maggie that is well matched up by a manufacturer themselves. (which was Bryston 28BSST with new Mag 1.7 & center piece)

Even the manufacturer's demo didn't convinced me...

So I looked around, and found two speakers that standed out.

One was Sanders Electrostatic Model 10 speakers and
the other was PBN Montana ESL 2. (Both are around $10K per pair.)

Sanders speakers were stunningly clear and focused. Imaging was incredible. All I can say is Clean, Pure & deliver excellent sound from high note to low.

The sound was so clear, it almost made me uncomfortable.
Never heard nothing like this before...

The other speaker I really liked was Peter's Montana ESP 2.
Just a wonderful speaker that moved my soul...
The music flowed effortlessly. I don't know how to describe.... just beautiful.

Maggie, Sanders, and Montana... each has a different character and taste. Like wine... Cab, Merlot & Zin all have different charcteristic...

Maggie probably has most warmth and air, like Renoir's painting not sure where the line starts and ends.

On the other hand, the Sanders speaker was probably most accurate and clear but somewhat lacking in warmth and naturalness (for my taste anyway)

Peter's Montana - comes in some where inbetween the two... well balanced, opening up nicely,... just made my heart warm in satisfaction...

=====

Sorry for the long intro...

Anyway, here is my question.

If anyone had these speakers over the long period of time, could you give your likes and dislikes? (especially weakness or problems if any)

TIA

Jon
jonk78

Showing 1 response by 605hifi

I have owned Montanas (EPS-2's) for over a year now and I have to say I disagree with Shakey. I went from B&W N803's to the Montanas and it has made the biggest improvement to my system I have ever noticed. With my set up they are as transaparent as I have ever heard a speaker and offer an very complete sound from top to bottom. If you happened to go to the presentation given by Harry Pearson, trust YOUR ears and musical taste. If the Montanas made you feel the best, go with the Montanas regardless of what we say. Good luck!