Macintosh MC452 or Mark Levinson 532H

Hi..Which Amp and preamp is more suitable to drive the SF Amati Futura. The MC452&C50 or ML532H&ML326S.
tango328
IMO, Levinson..The new MC452 has been slammed by the followers and after hearing it many times I agree.Guessing this amp is short lived.Having heard the 532H once its really a better choice for your speakers,SF is known for being kindof in the same boat as Mac as far as presentation.Id run a frontline that didnt follow that,just my opinion.
Thanks for your opinion on the amp. What about preamp? The 326s has been around for quite sometimes and have very few options compare to the newcomer preamp. Do you think classe cp800 or krell phantom lll will be good combination with ml532h?
Stick to same manufacturer for the amp and preamp combo. I think it will be better in the long run. Synergy does exist.
I also suggest hte same manufacturer for the amplifier and preamp combination. Would you look at other units besides the MC452&C50 or ML532H&ML326S? If yes, I suggest you look at Ayre separates.
I use a Levinson 432 with my Cremona and very much like the combination. However, when paired with the 326, there is just too much of the laid back sound. It just gets dull. I have a Cary SLP-05 pre and it really perks up the sound. The Amati Future are a different beast than the old style Cremona, but Levinson should still be a good match. I would just be careful adding in the 326. A used 432 may be a good option also, although all of these are shooting a little low for the Amati Futura, in my opinion. The Futura is a $36K speaker. If you are looking at Levinson, how about the 532 rather than the 532H. I know, a lot more money, but something to think about.

The Classe SP80 is a very nice unit, although I have not had a chance to try it in my system. Highly recommend the SLP-05. I got it to replace a Classe CP65 pre and is was significantly better is pretty much every regard.
I use a 326s with a pair of Parasound JC1's and it's a fantastic combination. Be sure to give them a listen if you consider straying from a full Levinson rig.

In response to DTC, I found that the 532 is quite a bit different from the 432. I agree with him however that the 432/326 combo may be a bit too laid back. I found the 532 to be significantly more "alive" than the 432, and the 532/326s combination to be excellent and not overly refined.

It's not in your face the way some components can be in order to achieve maximum detail.. however the detail is still all there, just not in your face.

With that said, I still prefer the JC1/326s combination.
HK_Fan - thanks for the updates. Are you referring to the 532H or the 532? I have not heard either in my setup.
The 432 is somewhat laid back, so with a more forward 532H, the 326 might work well. I still like the idea of a tube preamp. The Cary opened up my system tremendously and for less money than the 326.
I've also owned the Cary SLP-05 and agree that it is an outstanding preamp. I did miss the bottom end grunt of solid state however, and the lack of remote functions was also a major issue for me.

I would happily recommend the SLP-05 to anyone, but I still prefer my 326s for my taste/needs.

I owned the McIntosh amps and the 532H along with the 326S, and the ML gear together is one of the finest sounding systems I've owned. The 532H is more modern plain looking but it is how it sounds that matters and no way is it clinical, it sounds like my old ML2's but on steroids with dynamics that my 333 could only think about and dynamics will make any amp or speakers sound more upfront and in the room sound. A darker relaxed sound is neven sound dynamic but it will sound enjoyable, which is why Quad speakers sound so good, they never offend, they can't that not in their design.