Mac C220 vs. Cary Audio SLP 98P

I am thinking of selling my Mac C220 to purchase a Cary Audio SLP 98P. I have read and heard nothing but good things about the Cary and what a difference the addition of it has made in some systems. I must stay in the $4000.00 range and wonder if anyone has had the opportunity to hear these wonderful tube preamps, side by side? I have nothing bad to say about my Mac, I am just another obsessive compulsive hi-fi wacko and an looking for a change after about 4 years. Any observations will be welcome.
Jerry
birdmanpa
I can tell you Stereomaniac that i have read very good reviews about the Cary's phono stage, so long as the cartridge is high output M/C or M/M. I am hoping this is so. My next question, if you can answer this Macdad, can I use the Cary to bi-amp? I use my Mac275 to power my Janzens esl tweeters and a Adcom GFA-555 to power my JBL LE15A woofers. I know it has two amplifier outputs, will these work together to bi-amp. This may be a very basic question, but I am not very sophisticated from the electronics end of hi-fi.
If it has two outputs you can bi-amp with it. If it didn't you could use Y cables.
I used to own the Cary 98P. It drove my Mac 2102's easily.
Great sounding pre amp and in the tube like category Met mentioned. I preferred by a long shot to the VTL 7.5.

I was not impressed by the MM phono stage thou. I thought compared to the line stage a bit grainy and thin.

I would go for the line stage and buy a seperate phono.

cheers
Thanks Downunder. Fortunately, then, I already have an EAR834P, since I am using low OP carts and am very satisfied with the sound. I did like the MM phono stage on the Mac.