MAC Autoformers?

Someone is selling a MAC MA6500 Integrated claiming its superiority over the Ma6600 due to the fact that "it does not have the degrading autoformer design found in the MA6600". That is the first time I've heard a claim that the autoformer was a hindrance to better performance; I thought quite the opposite. What do you MAC Maves think?
pubul57

Showing 1 response by 213cobra

I don't own McIntosh, but for the last 10-15 years, their amplifiers have been excellent and increasingly desirable sonically. I am a SET tube amp listener, yet ironically I am most likely to become a McIntosh owner when I can find the money and space for a pair of MC1201 mono blocks or their MC1.2kw successors.

Philosophically, as someone who has built amps and as a listener, I am inclined toward direct coupled designs, but the proof is in the listening. Forget your topological biases and there will be no doubt that no existing direct coupled McIntosh solid state integrated amp equals the musicality, tone density and overall fidelity of the autoformer-based amplifiers above them in the line.

The 6300 and 6500 are certainly quite good for what they are, and well-made too. The autoformer 6600, 6900 and 7000 are as a group distinct step-ups in musical truth. The next step function boost in fidelity comes when the quad differential circuit is added to the mix, in the power amps from 402 and up. I'd love to see a 7000 add the quad-diff circuit.

Go have a listen and decide for yourself.

Phil