MA9000 VS MA8900

Hello,
This is one of my first post here, I am readying up for a Amp upgrade, I currently use the Wyred4sound Mpre & Mamps to a Kef Reference 1.
Great & very underrated Amps those tiny Ice amps, the bass control these have are incredible for the price.
Now I am bitten by the upgrade bug, and have put up the Wyred Amps for sale.

I have auditioned quite a few Amps including the Accuphase E650, the T+A HV3100, Gryphon Diablo etc., & the Mcintoshes, I thought all of them were every good.
The stand out was the T+A, I really think it is the best integrated available right now, but it is way outside my budget for now.

I am now seriously considering the MA8900, I really liked the sound I heard at the brief audition., as a bonus it comes packed in with a DAC & a very good phono.
Can anyone who owns it comment on their experience.
Can someone also comment on the difference in sound with the MA900.
mavvrik

Showing 1 response by jeffp13

I’m late to the party here, but wanted to add my observations about the MA8900.  I bought one a year or so ago based upon reviews and frankly for the appearance.  I was so excited to bring it home and enjoy it.  I pulled out my existing Hegel h360 and turned it on.  To my disappointment, It sounded really dull and lifeless and I attributed that to a need to break in.  So I left it on playing in the background for a couple of days.  After waiting, it still sounded flat and lifeless to me.  It was a very noticeable difference. Long story short, I never took to the sound and returned it.  When I put the Hegel back in, the music returned.  To MY EARS, the Hegel sounds much more refined and natural.  It really broke my heart because the Mac looks fantastic and I believe it’s a well-made product, but I just didn’t care for the sound. I’ve since upgraded to the h390, and it’s just fantastic and a significant upgrade to the h360.  But we all listen with our eyes as well as our ears, and I understand that all of that plays into our enjoyment of our systems.  The Hegel certainly doesn’t look as nice as a Mac and I doubt it will last as long or retain its value as well. 
Like everything else, it’s all a matter of personal preference.  My suggestion is to disregard professional reviews or the opinions you read on forums like this (including mine).   Listen for yourself.