MA2275 preamp section against other $4000 preamps?

Preamps to compare against (stuff in $2-3000 range):

Dehavilland Ultraverve 2 (curently resides in my system)
VTL 5.5
Joule Electra LA150 MKII
BAT VK31 SE
Aethetix Calypso
VAC preamp in this price range (I like their stuff)
Any others?

I am considering purchase of a MA2275 in my effort to "downsize". A seller locally has one fairly cheap. The amp section I have heard and is very nice, but I don't know about the preamp: it is basically a C2200, from what I understand. Assuming I can get some NOS tubes, what can I expect? My other option is to get the MC275 amp and a different pre. Speakers are Tyler Linbrook Sig series. I want a full, yet not overly tubey sound. The MA2275 caught my eye as a particularly good value that I can re-sell in a couple of years, when I get back into separates after I get the upgrade bug again ;-) Last preamp was the Herron VTSP 1a/166 and I loved the neutral, yet full sound, and would like to go that direction, but with a little more transparency in a slightly more current model. Also, something that tube rolling is useful in.
dawgcatching

Showing 1 response by jaybo

the mc2275 sounds practically identical to the 2200/275 combo, plus you get a phono board thats as good as most separates...downsizing may not be the correct term...simplifying perhaps..its huge!!!