M2Tech hiFace192 + Theta Gen Va synergy?

I just want to comment that I am really enjoying listening to the M2Tech hiFace USB/spdif adapter into a very old Theta Gen Va D/A. I have been in this hobby a long time, and I am amazed at how good this sounds.
I would hypothesize that the asyncynchronus data transfer and a resulting reduction of jitter has enabled the now old Theta Gen Va to really shine. The depth, precision of image and "air" around images is amazing, and the sound is truly relaxing with no loss of detail. I know there is a lot of talk about the new Ayre anti-alaising D/A algorithm. I'm not sure how it differs from the algorithm created by Theta years ago. I am sure that it would be difficult to beat the analog output stage of the Theta.
I would encourage relistening to some of these older D/A processors with a now low jitter feed before spending big $ on some of the new stuff.
Has anyone had a similar experience?
oldears

Showing 1 response by puerto

It certainly did enhance my system from the first note. (Krell HTS 7.1 pre/pro) In particular, the bass sounded tighter to me. Now it has gone back to Ireland for some modifications which are essentially to drive the hiface with two small batteries instead of the USB power provided by the Mac Pro. Cleaner power should provide cleaner sound. . . so I have read. Other reviews have indicated that the modifications provide another big step up in SQ. We shall see.

Hopefully your thread will breathe new life into some older DACs!!