Luxman vs. Accuphase

I'm looking for a solid state integrated amp to run a "2nd system" (my 1st system is Dynaco PAS, Phase Linear 400, and JBL L112s).

The integrated will either be driving Dynaco A25s or JBL Aquarius speakers (my McIntosh MA5100 will be driving the other pair for a "3rd system"- my wife is a saint and bites her lip at each new addition.)

I'm looking at either the Accuphase E202 or the Luxman L450 (or L480). I've had some experience with Accuphase and have always been very impressed. I've heard lots of good things about Luxman, though, but have never personally given any of its products a listen.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Rod
drkjr

Showing 1 response by jo427

How about one of each? I am the original owner of an Accuphase E-202 vintage 1976 and I have a 1979 Luxman L-5 integrated amp I picked up from ther original owner when the Accuphase developed a problem. The Accuphase is a bigger, heavier piece (45lbs). One of the reasons I bought it was because it looked like it was built to last forever and it sounded great. The circuit boards are mounted vertically and are plugged in for easy removal if a repair is needed.

I intend to get the Accuphase fixed and sell them both since I listen exclusivly through a headphone tube amp these days. I will probably list them on Audiogon. After years of listening to both I would recommend either, with the nod going to the Accuphase due to sheer power and a very warm sound for a SS unit. Once fixed, it should be good for another 30 years.