Luxman PD121 is this a quality DD?

How does the Luxman PD121 rank with the other quality DDs (Kenwood LO7D, Technics SP10s, and the like)?
redglobe

Showing 4 responses by redglobe

BR3098, Thank you for your reply. You mention a PD121A. What do you think of the PD121U (differences)? How well does it maintain speed (constant pitch)?

How would you distinguish the PD121 from the SL1200?

What would expect the market price to be for a PD121U with the Mayware IV tonearm?
I replaced the armboard with a solid maple one and replaced the rubber turntable platter mat with a copper one. The speed is spot on. The Mayware Formula IV tonearm is quite good. I am using a Denon DL-S1 with great results. I will be upgrading the tonearm wires, tags, and connectors.

Originally, the Luxman PD-121 reproduced mudding sounding music with the rubber mat. However, with the copper mat, this is no dog. There is great detail to the music, with a large sound stage and true pitch. Vocals and piano sound very real with great depth and texture. Complex orchestration is easily tracked. I am missing a bit of the low frequencies. However, I expect that to come to life with the new tonearm wires. I still need some extended listening. However, this is very promising.

What a great value for the price.
Interesting update: I moved the ground from my turntable to the amp, while the tonearm ground runs to the phono stage. I got rid of a hum and all of the bass has been found. Can someone explain this?

I am still waiting for the cartridge tags to rewire the arm. However, the PD121 is remarkably accurate at sound reproduction. Each instrument is clearly focused and the full timber and sound pitch is clearly played. It is so easy to follow the interplay of the melodies and harmonies. It is really stunning.