Luxman L505u . . . why not?

I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on one of these--an upgrade from my Rotel receiver. Before I do, I'd like some perspective from the learned A'gon community. First, will it be a significant upgrade from the Rotel? What kind of sonic improvements can I expect? Second, why shouldn't I buy from Audiocubes II? http://www.audiocubes2.com/brand/Luxman/product/Luxman_L-505u_Integrated_Amplifier.html
I know On a Higher Note is the official U.S. distributer, but my budget pushes me towards the less expensive purchase option. Third, regardless of where I purchase it from, it will need a transformer to boost the power to 220. I don't know anything about the possible effects this might have on sound and performance of the component--can anybody speak to this? Is it possible to have the piece modified to accept the U.S. 110 current? I want the piece because it meets my requirements for an integrated: it's at least 100W, it has speaker A/B (I've got speakers in the kitchen and the main living room), it's got a great phono section (I play 50% records, 50% CDs), and it's got a headphone amp. Those are the features I want in an integrated. Any advice, suggestions, dissuasions will be appreciated.

Danny
rosedanny
Well its 11 years later and probably no one will ever read this.My 505 was purchased from Japan in 2009 and i used a step down transformer until recently.Acquired a service manual and now my 11 year old 505u is operating on 120 VAC.The Japanese 100 V units do have a multi-voltage transformer and the conversion takes a few minutes.
Here is a write-up I found that explains the changes made in the L-505ux model
===================================================

LUXMAN L-505u versus L-505uX

Tonally both amplifiers were voiced the same by Hashimoto-san at Luxman, Yokohama.

Sonically: The L-505uX is quieter, more liquid mid-range and a more three dimensional soundstage is thrown. The new model is a little more refined, a little more detailed and even nicer to use than before.

Features: Both amps have most of the same features:

The L-505uX has a LECUA* discrete volume control based on the C-1000f preamplifier design – no moving parts, no tracking issues at low volume. Much more transparent sounding and will sound the same at every level. This is the most important of all the upgrades and the most expensive to implement, as the individual resistors need to be measured by hand.

The L-505uX has MONO, SUBSONIC (Rumble) & LOUDNESS Filter switch on the remote control, Loudness is a wonderful feature for late night, quiet listening. It also has a few buttons that support the D-05/06/08 CD SACD players basic functions.

The L-505uX has a newly redesigned phono stage; which is both more refined, resolute & musical

The L-505uX has ODNF** 3.0 performs three passes of the audio signal, checking for noise & distortion, while the ODNF 2.1 in the L-505u does two passes.

Chassis:
There are only a few differences between the two amps.
--The L-505uX now comes with a metal remote control.
--Both the volume control & the selector know have a more tactile feel to them
--The L-505uX now has higher quality speaker terminals, spread out horizontally to allow easy access for large cable.
--The L-505uX no longer has the Line Phase Sensor – it does not comply with CE / UL regulations.. 
--The L-505uX now has LINE STRAIGHT (engage / disengage the tone controls) & SEPARATE available on the remote control. There is no excuse for not using the tone controls, especially when they can be engaged / disengaged from the comfort of the listening chair.

LECUA* = Luxman Electronic Control Unit Amplification
ODNF** = Only Distortion Negative Feedback
I am using luxman 550 A II
harbeth compact 7 ES3
The most satisfying combo ever to my ears.
Coming from more expensive gear, luxman is another level in audio.
Regards
I think the 505u as Luxman's entry level is a lot better than some other folks' top of the line. It makes my little MMGs sound a lot more expensive than they should. I can hardly wait to move up the Maggie ladder. Maybe even the Luxman ladder too, highly recommended! Especially if you're tired of expensive products that don't live up to expectations.
I listen to it 100% of the time in headphone mode. Superior playback, all the way.
Toronto416,

Thank you for your response. I figured Luxman wouldn't throw in a crappy headphone circuit. Any other experiences using headphones with your Luxman's?
I have a Luxman 509u integrated amp driving Verity Audio Parsifal Ovation speakers. This is a powerful and musically satisfying combination that I have lived with for almost two years. They are keepers!

The headphone jack on Luxman integrateds is not an afterthought as you are tapping into the same circuit that powers the speakers. I have the excellent Beyerdynamic T1 headphones, and don't feel any need whatsoever to obtain a separate headphone amplifier.

I am told that the phono stage is also very good, and I am about to find that out.

Though expensive, the Luxman integrateds are very musical, extremely well built, and provide good value and exemplary performance.
Is anyone using the Headphone amp on your Luxman's? I am assuming it is pretty good. Any feedback would be appreciated.
I'm surprised that Luxman is not more popular as well. I have been listening to an L-550ax integrated for about a month now - it's a great piece! Beautiful to look at (those yellow backlit meters are nice). Sounds superb, the loudness control is very useable; for context I live in a condo surrounded by neighbors, so sometimes I listen at low volume and the loudness is great for this. The phono input means I don't need another box (I've got a Dynavector 20XL2, low output, I use the MC setting on the Luxman). The knobs, the switches, the connectors, the casing, all seem to be top shelf. I'm sure this is carried across models. Why is Luxman not more popular? I moved from a CJ Premier 140 amp and an EAR 868 preamp, no regrets at all.
I had the 505u running through a pair of Harbeth Compact 7s and was amazed at the sound. It's, like the Merlin, a somewhat neutral and musical speaker. There are folks at HUG too running the same amp through the P3ESR with fantastic results. It's hard to understate how much power the 505u has and how non-fatiguing the sound is. I'm surprised the Luxman isn't a more popular suggestion around here.
In Japan, the Luxman 505uX has just been released. I'm not sure what the difference is between this and the plain L-505u, however. Thanks!
Hey Deaf in left eye, I beg to differ about Luxmans rep being ruined by Alpine after 1984. If i am not mistaken, the great M-05 105 watt per channel class A amp was made from 1984 to 1988. In fact, there is a professional reviewer who posts and says it is one of the best amplifiers he ever heard. I agree. I have one with a set of infinity Rennaisance 90s and an Ear 864 pre. It is quite outstanding in all respects.
Rgs92

Yes the Luxman 505u will work great with Sonus Faber. http//audioaficionado.org/sonus-faber/6495-sonus-faber-luxman.html

I use to own both Luxman L505u and Luxman L507u. Luxman 505u has a very good premap. I was running a Levinson 331 amp with Luxman L505u preamp out with great results.
Has anyone with the Luxman integrated amps tried the feature that lets you use it simply as a power amp, using your own preamp?

I have a nice tubed preamp and think that's a nice feature, as for just another pair of interconnects, I can choose between my own tubed preamp path and the Luxman on its own just by flipping a switch.
The best of both worlds. (Good for the terminally undecided like me, and the feeling that I can tailor the Luxman's sound by tube rolling.)
Is the Luxman 505u a good match for Sonus Faber speakers (like Cremona Auditors)? I prefer a little warmth for my popular music.
Hi...Has anyone compared the Lux L505 with the Rogue Audio Cronus which has similar features. Very nice thread btw.
I just purchased a fine example of the first issue of the L-550 series, which from 1981 was also the last of the great Luxman series before Alpine took them over and ruined Luxman's reputation in 1984. This is a pure class A amp, like it's modern descendant. Ugly maybe, but the sound is extremely clear and has that subtle, warm, silky texture of the old Luxman tubes. Extremely detailed, yet no highs are ever shrill. Precise staging and exquisite separation of individual instruments, similar to the original SQ38FD. The bass is there, but maybe not in the quantities I like, and becomes somewhat "boomy" if I turn the bass knob up too much. Otherwise it slowly floated into my room like a feather from heaven.

I love this amp and just thought I'd share that with this thread, where it looks somewhat appropriate.
Oh no here we go again . . .
On a different--personal--note, I'd like to say that I'm no longer a dummy regarding voltage/transformer in my initial posting. At the time, I thought Japan was 220 like Europe, but I was relieved to learn just before my purchase that the transformer converts down from 117-100. I can confirm what Renjy651 says about the consistent, clean power offered by the transformer. I've really enjoyed reading the discussions comparing the L505u to the L507u. Fortunately, it will be a long time before I feel a need to upgrade from the 505u--I'm going to concentrate on building around it!
Bongo, that's a good question...maybe I'm feeling a bit of a protectionist these days? not sure. Having been a retailer all my life, it bothers me to see so many businesses close (and we know why). Maybe I'm also a bit old fashioned. You mention that a dealer could still get to "demonstrate and service" a product....what happened to the "selling" of, which would make the dealer money?
What happened to the common good, rather than individual greed? I'm just sayin....
Chashas1

In the age of a truly global economy and currency weaknesses, why would you care if someone buys off-shore in the native OEM country. I don't see the harm, if you are smart enough to execute the trade. The US dealer offers the ability to hear the device and service it. Given the high standards of Luxman, this seems as an unwanted mark-up.
Well, it has been over five months since my last contribution to this particular thread. I have some new information that I feel compelled to share.

I purchased the Luxman507u, and have been comparing it to my former unit, the 505u. Here are my impressions:

- The 507u is superior in terms of clarity, depth of stage, and overall dynamics.

- The 507u is superior in terms of power.

- The sound 507u appears richer and more ambient.

In a nutshell, I can tell you that while its cost is double that of its predecessor, its sound quality is indeed noticeably superior.

I purchased the unit from a Japanese-superstore with a bank transfer. Some people have taken the liberty of questioning the ethics behind my purchasing from an overseas store. While I can understand the desire of others to purchase only from a US-Luxman dealer, I politely contend that these units, which are masterpieces of the industry, should be made available to the masses - but the current middle-man cost additions, which are undeniably exorbinant, unnecessarily prohibit this from happening. I would also add that the warranties of all US-Luxman units are limited solely to their original purchaser, and are utterly non-transferable upon resale.

As an electronic technician with 30 years of experience, I can assure based on experience that using a Japanese transformer (chiefly Sanyo TSDN15LU, and Nissyo NDF1500U) will not degrade sound quality. Claims to the contrary are incorrect - years of both personal and consumer products testing have yielded no evidence to support such a claim. Japan, Brazil, Taiwan, parts of Columbia, and North America use 100 to 117 volts, 60HZ. There are no issues using these transformers in the aforementioned countries. But I would not recommended using European 230-volt, 50HZ against the USA 117-volt, 60HZ via transformer. Additionally, the transformers I recommend will stay cool despite hours and hours of continuous operation, and provide unwavering 100-voltage output - which eliminates the need for a power conditioner.
Thanks Paul- I have briefly heard the 505u at the dealer & was quite impressed with the sound.
The one thing I immediately noticed is the dynamic & lively sound.
I'll listen more to it after I get back from my out of town trip.
Hi Nolitan, as I said before, I have not been able to compare the 505u and the 507u at the same time. The 505u also was not given enough time to "mature" its sound. That is why I can not really say that the 507u is much better then the 505u. Bottom line is that the 505u really amazed me, as in the same way the 507u does. If I were you I would certainly start to listen to the 505u. Maybe I will do a test with a 505u and 507u at the same time.....that will answer lots of questions.
When are you planning to buy a new amp?
if anyone has a good Luxman dealer in the US, please email me offline.

cheers,

KR
is it worth buying or saving up for the 507u over the 505u ?
The difference i think is almost double between these two units.
Hi Jbsl43, I did not really mean that the sound of the 507u and the 505u are exactly the same, but they really sound a like. Unfortunately I have not had the 505u and the 507 at the same time. Their was a month in between with an accuphase e408. And I only had the 505u for 2 weeks. So I was not really able to tell the big differences.

The only thing I directly noticed was that that same warm satisfying feeling came over me when I plugged in the 507u after the e408. The same deep bass, the ease and tranquility in the sound I heard with the 505u.
"The only big difference between the 505u and the 507u is that the build quality of the 507u is higher.
Paulyh"

So 507u cost twice as much as the l-505u but you do not hear much of a difference in the sound?

To me it seems there should be a obvious difference in the sound quality for that much difference in price.

What improvement in sound have you heard with the L-507u over the L-505u?

I have to agree wholeheartedly with Paulyh assessment of the 505u. What Paulyh described as the sound of 505u was exactly the same kind of feeling I got from hearing it.

I heard it driving a pair of Monitor Audio Platinum 100 bookshelf speakers. And you know what. It makes me want to give up on tube amps. I have never heard amps that got a better bass control and I have heard a lot. It has the warmth that you normally associate with tubes but yet has the clarity that tube amplifiers at its cost couldn't match

It still has a typical Japanese character where music often comes off sweet and full bodied just like Accuphase and Marantz. But I would rate the 505u ahead of them and by a distance.

To illustrate how good it is. It leaves me wanting to give up on tube which I have been a fan for over a decade.
Thanks for the insight Paul... I will surely give the Luxmans a try one of these days.
Hi Nolitan,

I have both had the 505u and the 507u, and they sounded very similar to me. I did not have them at the same time, there was a month between the two, but they both struck me with the warm, detailed powerful musical sound. In the time between I had listened to a accuphase e408, but that was a big dissapointment in comparison to the 505u. The accuphase seemed to lack the power to really control the speakers, especially in the bass. Strange, because the e408 has 180wpc and the luxman 100?.....but luxman always understates the rated watts. I sounded more like 300 watts. Then I decided to buy the 507u directly from japan.........and I still love it.

To be short. If you really want a full bodied, musical sound with a deep and super controlled bass, buy one of these luxmans. The only big difference between the 505u and the 507u is that the build quality of the 507u is higher. More like the accuphase e408 build quality.....
Other than Harbeths, what other speakers are you driving your 505u or 550II with ?
is the 550 as powerful as the 505u ?

Thanks for the info.
Last weekend I heard a Luxman L-507u paired with a D-05 CD player and DSS monitor speakers. it's difficult to judge a set you don't know. But from what I heard the amp is a really nice amp. Maybe a bit upfront but I prefer that over laidback.

Don't think I would trade in my own Symphonic Line la Musica which costs about the same as the Luxman L-507u in Netherlands. But one could do a lot worse the the Luxman intergrated amp I think.
Jabas

Yes, thanks for the reply.
I do plan to use the 550A for the SHL5s which i also have.

Great! Looks like its a good match with the SHL5s.

Noli
I've heard both the 505u and the 550IIa on Harbeths. I went through lots of amps, seperates and integrateds ... I own Hl5s, and I liked the 550a best, for all music... It had to do with the detail and clarity and that illusion of speed with class A. The 550 is more upfront ... and has no problem driving the Hl5s on even deep soul and heavy rock 'n' roll. The 505u is really something, tho. It's down to personal preference. I've heard the 505u amp hold its own against big mono-blocked rogues driving Harbeth 40.1s, which the 550 couldn't handle.
has anyone heard both the 505u and the 550A (20w class A) ?
is the 550A just as powerful as the 505 U?
I'm thinking of trying the Luxman route with my harbeths.
thanks for the inputs.
Chas

A friend told me that the 38 is now for sale on musicdirect.com. Don't know them as a retailer, but they are showing both the amp and CD player. They also show my N100 combo. It is roughly 35 to 40% higher than what I paid in Japan.
Boy, I would love to hear it...hear it all, actually! and then buy what I loved most, and never look back. (hopefully)
The small Leben is only 15 watts, which means very efficient speakers and usually a smaller scale system. By the time people consider the bigger Leben integrated, they head for Shindo.
The Luxman is all relatively new here, as stated earlier, so maybe eventually I'll get to hear it.
Thanks again!
Chas