Luxman L505u . . . why not?

I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on one of these--an upgrade from my Rotel receiver. Before I do, I'd like some perspective from the learned A'gon community. First, will it be a significant upgrade from the Rotel? What kind of sonic improvements can I expect? Second, why shouldn't I buy from Audiocubes II? http://www.audiocubes2.com/brand/Luxman/product/Luxman_L-505u_Integrated_Amplifier.html
I know On a Higher Note is the official U.S. distributer, but my budget pushes me towards the less expensive purchase option. Third, regardless of where I purchase it from, it will need a transformer to boost the power to 220. I don't know anything about the possible effects this might have on sound and performance of the component--can anybody speak to this? Is it possible to have the piece modified to accept the U.S. 110 current? I want the piece because it meets my requirements for an integrated: it's at least 100W, it has speaker A/B (I've got speakers in the kitchen and the main living room), it's got a great phono section (I play 50% records, 50% CDs), and it's got a headphone amp. Those are the features I want in an integrated. Any advice, suggestions, dissuasions will be appreciated.

Danny
rosedanny

Showing 11 responses by toronto416

I live in North America and hence would buy Luxman from the North American distributor.

These units have been factory built to be compatible with our electrical grid.

Moreover the distributor has invested considerable resources to re-introduce Luxman to NA, promote it to the audio press and at trade shows, and build a dealer network, provide after sales service etc.

All those great reviews in The Absolute Sound and Stereophile etc. that help increase market presence and resale value are thanks to the efforts of the distributor (and a great product).

Ordering grey market product at a discount may seem like a deal but it is a selfish act, robbing the official distributor while still allowing you to benefit from their efforts to promote the product and increase its value in their market (and yours).
The 509u is rated at 120 wpc into 8 Ohms, doubling to 240 wpc into 4 Ohms. It is Luxman's most robust class AB integrated amplifier.

The 507u is rated a little less at 110 wpc into 8 Ohms, and it does not quite double (to 200 wpc) into 4 Ohms.

The 505u is rated at 100 wpc into 8 Ohms, and 140 wpc into 4 Ohms.

These amps differ in the size of their power supplies, capacitance, and other elecronic differences that I do not understand.

The 507u sits somewhere in between the 509u and the 505u, which suggests that integrated amps are important in the Japanese market, and the 507u is probably filling a gap to compete with other manufacturers at that particular price/performance point.

Regards,

Mark
Choosing between the two top Luxman integrateds (590Aii and 509u) is not easy. They both cost about the same (10K), but one is 30 wpc pure class A (590Aii) and the the other 120 wpc class AB (509u).

Though I have seen more positive comments about the 590Aii and the purported sonic superiority of pure calss A amps, has anyone actually compared them? Are they really that different?

If you had a choice, which one would you buy?

Regards,

Mark
What do they say in Japan about the new Luxman cd players such as the D-06?

Though they are available in North America there is very scant information about them, but I have a sense that they are well regarded in Japan and compare favourably to Esoteric cd players.

Any comments?

Regards,

Mark
Thank Jim! There is scant information in NA on the new Luxman cd players (D-05, D-06), but they look interesting.
Regards,
Mark
Many thanks Jim! I would love to know how the new Luxman cdps (especially the D-06 & D-05) are regarded in Japan.

I have seen and listened to one of their integrated amps, and they are a work of art, both physically and sonically.

Regards,

Mark
Many thanks for the update Jimbo!

Congratulations on setting-up the 805s - enjoy!

Regards,

Mark
Chashas1 - which recent issue of Stereophile (and what page) mentions the 505u?
Thanks,
Mark

I have a Luxman 509u integrated amp driving Verity Audio Parsifal Ovation speakers. This is a powerful and musically satisfying combination that I have lived with for almost two years. They are keepers!

The headphone jack on Luxman integrateds is not an afterthought as you are tapping into the same circuit that powers the speakers. I have the excellent Beyerdynamic T1 headphones, and don't feel any need whatsoever to obtain a separate headphone amplifier.

I am told that the phono stage is also very good, and I am about to find that out.

Though expensive, the Luxman integrateds are very musical, extremely well built, and provide good value and exemplary performance.