Luxman L-590AX

Hello!

Can someone please explain how this AMP sounds? I have never heard it, but some people says this amp has an analog and warm tube sound. Is this correct?
Is this amp great if I play many bad recordings and hard rock music? Many amps are too clinical, harsh, "hifi-correct" to my taste.

If anyone have heard L-590AX compared to f.example McIntosh MA7000 or MA8000, I would be glad to hear the difference in the sound. Is the sound very different?

Thanks!
rockpanther

Showing 4 responses by hgeifman

Several years ago I replaced my Ayre AX-7e integrated amplifier with the Luxman L-590ax class A integrated amplifier. I was "surprised and shocked" at how much better the Luxman amp was over the Ayre. Of course, there is a huge price different but I felt the sound was much improved.

I am using the Apple MAC Book Pro Computer, a LaCie external hard drive, the Ayre QB-9 DSD DAC and the Sonus Faber Olympica II Speakers. This Class A amplifier drives the SF Olympic II speakers to loud levels in my living room. The Luxman L-590ax is fully balanced and I am using balanced cables from the Ayre QB-9 DSD DAC to the Luxman.

The Luxman amplifier is very heavy and the box is huge (doubled boxed). And, yes, it does get warm to touch but the heat is not a problem. It does need plenty of open air around it.

It is hard for me to describe how it sounds. The music is fuller, with more detail and with much better bass control. I am hearing more things than I did with the Ayre AX-7e amplifier. The mid range is outstanding. I do not understand but it seems classical music sounds better on the Luxman than the Ayre. The music is clearer, more airy and easier to listen to. Overall, the new amplifier sounds excellent in my system. I listen to classical, jazz, blues, country and new age. The Class A amplifier design makes this amplifier sound excellent.

I like the Luxman L-590ax because of its Class A design and that it is fully balanced. I highly recommend the Luxman L-590ax class A integrated amplifier. It sounds wonderful in my system.
Yes. The Luxamn L-590AX integrated amplfiier will sound much better than the McIntosh MA7000 or the MA8000.

I owned the McIntosh 6900 integrated amplifier before my Ayre AX-7e integrated amplifier. The Ayre AX-7e amp sounded much better than the McIntosh MS6900 amplifier. The Lucman AX-590 sounds wonderful with its warm tube sound compared to the McIntosh or the Ayre AX-7e amp.

I suggest you audition the Luxman 590AX so you can hear it.
Rockpanther: I cannot answer all your questions. In my opinion, based on listening on my system, the Luxman 590ax has a smooth treble and plenty of bass on my Sonus Faber Olympica II Speakers. It is a very musical sounding amplifier and its mid-range is terrific.

I have not heard the McIntosh 6900 and Luxman L-590AX on the same speakers. I compared the Luxman 590ax to the Luxman L-550A II and, in my opinion, felt the 590ax sounded much better and worth the extra cost (for me).

I do not know how the 590ax sounds on harsh or bad recordings. Again, in my opinion, in my system, my 590ax sounds great on the recordings I play. I hope you can audition the Luxman 590ax so that you can hear yourself how it sounds.

As I said above, I like my Luxman L-590ax because of its Class A design, it is fully balanced and I really like how it sounds. In my opinion, the Luxman 590ax is a terrific sounding integrated class a amplifier. If you are having trouble making a decision, please review other comments on the 590ax in AudioGon and look for reviews of the 590ax. I hope this helps.
The Luxman 590ax has a Subsonic Filter, Tone Controls and Only Distortion Negative Feedback (ODNF) that might help with your recordings. See:

Subsonic Filter
A subsonic filter is also easily accessible from the remote control in order to remove unwanted low frequency noise while you are listening to a record. When the stylus hits the groove, you might notice the woofers modulating in and out, even though there is no music playing yet. This is due to the ultra low frequency information (below the music), this unnecessary information places a strain on the amplifier and is best filtered out. A mono switch is also available for both loudspeaker setup as well as mono record playback. Both the Mono & Subsonic filter are accessible from the remote control.

Tone Controls
The tone controls might seem like an anachronism in this day and age of minimalism, but they can be remarkably effective in bring to life a less than perfect music collection. We all have music gems in our collection that are sonicly challenging. A lot of the 1980's CDs are quite harsh sounding and the digital glare can be quite fatiguing. Reduce the treble slightly and while the harsh CD is not going to suddenly sound like a reference recording, at least it will now be perfectly listenable. Sit back relax, enjoy the music & forgot about the HiFi. When you want to bypass the tone controls, just engage the Line Straight switch, either from the remote control or from the front panel.

ODNF

Luxman nowadays use a distortion reduction circuit called Only Distortion Negative Feedback (ODNF). This system works by isolating noise & distortion at the output from the music signal and sparingly applying negative feedback to suppress them. Conventional negative feedback systems can have an adverse effect on the music, introducing phase distortion. "The circuit features such an ultra-wide range, ultra- high slew rate and ultra low distortion that it does not use phase compensation for the music signal amplifying circuits." This new technology also ensures that need for a DC servo circuit is alleviated, again improving sound quality.

Click here for more details:

http://www.onahighernote.com/luxman/?c=&id=56

I agree with Jriggy above that you should call the distributor or dealer for a demo of this amplifier.