Luxman Integrated - What do they sound like

Hi Everyone,

I'm considering getting myself a late 2018 Christma present or early 2019 birthday present.

Modern Luxman reviews are really hard to come by, and are generally just superlative without being very qualitative. I mean, it's all "rah rah rah!! " and no actual details.
For anyone who has listened to them lately, can you tell me what they actually sound like in comparison to other nice amps I might have heard?

Thank you,
Erik

erik_squires
Luxman assistance needed please; Will a Luxman Integrated amp purchased from Japan which states "AC 100V 50Hz/60Hz" work correctly in the USA or is there a problem?
I'm guessing that because the unit is Japan 100V so I'd need to use with the step-down transformer, am I correct?
@lak

Yes, you will, unfortunately and it will be a big one, but even a 3,000 VA unit is under $200
https://amzn.to/2GgAWl2

E
I completely agree with Steve Huff's review of the Luxman 590-AXII.  I purchased one last year to simplify my setup and have been totally pleased with the purchase.  

I love the sound in my system and the looks!

I was able to sell off my separate amp, pre-amp and phono stage.  These combined separates had a retail of $13500 without cables. 

My separates were:

Zesto Audio Andros 1.0 Tube phono stage - $3500
Classè Sigma SSP 7.1 chl SS pre-amp / processor - $5500
Sanders Sound ESL Mark II SS amp - $4500

I have a pair of Martin Logan Montis speakers.  I was fearful of going to the Luxman with only 60wpc into 4 ohms. The Sanders Sound amp had over 700wpc into 4 ohms.  But the Montis have a step-up built into them and really don't need so much power.  The Luxman seems to have power-a-plenty to drive them.  Fears were dispelled, after a few minutes listening to the Luxman / Montis pairing.

It does get warmer than the Sanders Sound, which was really cool given its power rating.  The Luxman also has a slight transformer noise, if you get really close to it.  From normal listening distances, you cannot hear it.

While the phono stage built into the Luxman is wonderful, I felt that it was not a perfect match for my Ortofon Cadenza Black.  The gain is just not sufficient.  So, I added a Bob's Devices Sky 20 SUT between my VPI Classic 4 and the Luxman phono stage input.  The Luxman is a delightful MM phono stage, which is what I now have it set to.  I love this combination and the convenience of not having to turn something else on and letting it warm up (i.e. the Zesto Andros). 

Thanks and kind regards,
Jason  

hmm...not sure I understand what you are asking.  But I will try.

The Luxman is always in idle unless you unplug the cord.  So pushing the power button on the unit just takes it out from idle and it's ready to go.  It gets warm in about 30 minutes. Meaning that the heat coming from the vents is nearly peak in that time.  However, other factors can alter this such as room temperature and how hard it is being pushed.

The heat is not such a big deal for me.  I placed it on the top shelf and I have a 65in TV right above on the wall.  Never has been an issue.  But I don't leave it on all day either.