Luxman Integrated - What do they sound like

Hi Everyone,

I'm considering getting myself a late 2018 Christma present or early 2019 birthday present.

Modern Luxman reviews are really hard to come by, and are generally just superlative without being very qualitative. I mean, it's all "rah rah rah!! " and no actual details.
For anyone who has listened to them lately, can you tell me what they actually sound like in comparison to other nice amps I might have heard?

Thank you,
Erik

erik_squires
hi @builder3

That's what I am finding, the Luxman ecosystem of users is kind of a closed community. The listeners haven't heard a lot of other gear that is in circulation among what we call High End Audio.

Do you get to listen to other gear very often?

Your system sounds perfectly reasonable by the way.

Best,
E
Erik, I don't really ever hear anything to speak of, other than the occasional trip to the audio store. I've had a system running since my late teens, and when I put it together I was pretty proud of it. Pioneer late 70's receiver, etc. That Pioneer is still sitting here, but I got tired of fiddling with it, and it didn't do the new speakers justice. So I sort of took the plunge and put together a new set-up, which I love. Small room, near-field listening, very enjoyable.
I think I'm in the minority, and I suspect most Luxman owners have heard a fair amount of comparable gear. I think the main issue is that Luxman seems to not bother with much in the way of promotion of any kind. Another issue for them, which probably has been mostly overcome at this point, is the large amount of mediocre gear they sold in the recent past under previous ownership.
Good luck,
I had own many Luxman amps. Since 2009.
Now i have the 900u monos.
Before i had 509X and 590AXII.
I like their class A amps and the 900u. The new 507UXII excellent as well.
I found for harbeth owners look out for luxman gear. Best match so far in my experience. I had owned most harbeth 40.2 anniversary now.
Regards
I found for harbeth owners look out for luxman gear. Best match so far in my experience. I had owned most harbeth 40.2 anniversary now.

This really is too funny. I mean, I appreciate everyone who loves Luxman, but it's kind of interesting few can really describe the sound quality and compare them to something else except in very vague terms. Maybe there's' a certain audio magic which makes Luxman owners forget to diagnose the sound?

Best,
E
@erik_squires   Methinks you just won BINGO.  I have the Luxman E-250 phono amp. and it doesn't really have an identifiable sonic signature.  Well engineered albums sound beautiful.  Poorly recorded material sounds much less so.  The only adjective I might ascribe to it is a textural smoothness.  The biggest surprise for me was how it seems to minimize the sound of vinyl surface imperfections. An "honest" piece of kit.