Luxman C900u + M900u Combo Opinons

I recently read a few world wide reviews of the Luxman pre-amp and amp combo. The reviews have been stellar. For example, Doug Schneider claiming the following:

"The M-900u is the best-sounding power amp I’ve ever heard. While its price of $19,900 might seem high if you look only at the specs, it isn’t when you examine how the M-900u is built, or -- especially -- when you listen to it. The M-900u is one of the best values in high-end amplifiers."

The price in 2017 is now actually 14995 USD for each unit. Luxman has a new USA distributer, Jeff Sigmund, and I got the price list from him. I will eventually listen to these units but I cannot for a few more months (unless they show up at the LA Audio show next month).

I seldom see much comments here on A’Gon on these 2 Luxman pieces. Are there any Luxman owners interested in sharing their opinions on this combo? I would also be interested in issues such as reliability and repairs (if any). Did you have to ship them back to Japan? I am seriously looking at this power combo to power my new system (likely KEF Blades2 or Paradigm Person 9H). I believe the amps have enough power for these speakers, if not I can get 2 amps to run as monoblocks.

One European review stated that the Luxman may not sound incredible on rock music but that same mag panned the KEF Blade2 while reviewing them with an Arcam amp. So my confidence in that particular review is not too strong. I listen to all kinds of music, including rock. My music sources are digital and FM radio (KCRW from LA).

The system I am thinking of building:

Speakers:: KEF Blade2 (or maybe Paradigm Persona 9H)
PreAmp+Amp: Luxman C900u + M900u
DAC: T+A MP 3100 HV (this does everything I need for digital, need to read some reviews on it)
Client: ROON+TIDAL+SONARE microRendu
Tunar: Accupahse T-1100 (or may use my existing Magnun Dynalab 205 or the tuner in the T+A MP 3100 HV)
Interconnects: Audience SX XLR
Speaker cable: Audience SX
Power Cable: Cerious Tech (graphene coated stuff)
Power Conditioner: May use the Torus I currently have in the office system or something fancier

Any feedback on the Luxman or my NEW system configuration would be appreciated.

yyzsantabarbara

Showing 2 responses by sandpit33

Over the last 20 years I have owned Bryston, Halcro dm-58’s, Linn Solos, Luxman M800, and now the Luxman m900u.I have listened extensively to Mark Levinson and other great amps. I feel the 900u is simply one the best power amps I have ever heard. in fact the best as long as your speakers are not really power hungry. It has so much finesse, sound staging, depth and it’s top end is amazing. I loved my halcro 58’s and should never have sold them however I am so happy with the Luxman, My Linn KDSM straight into it is sublime.
The Luxman m900u is in another class compared to other Luxman products sound wise IMHO. It blows the m900a away for instance that everyone was raving about a couple of years ago. I had two 900a's and when I got one 900u the improvement was jaw dropping. In some countries you can get the 900u for around USD 11-12K. The best value on the planet is how I see it.