Luxman 505uXlI vs Cary SLI-100

Hey just for fun and not diving too deep into room acoustics, type of music etc. what amp-speaker combination would you choose?
I have the two amps listed above and these speakers:
Martin Logan ESL
Klipsch Heresy IV
Magnapan LRS

I'm "considering" downsizing.

l
maholl50

Showing 2 responses by decooney

@maholl50,
When you acquired the SLI-100 with KT150s, do you have a copy of the build-receipt or recall if any special upgrades were done at original purchase time? i.e. a friend was the designer of that SLI-100, originally. He shared some nice upgrade tips on all of my former Cary amps, with some surprising results.

Having owned and heard several different Cary amps with before/after optional [or local-tech custom] upgrades, it can be a really nice uplift. Worth investigating if you are trying to decide what to keep. 

+1 three_easy_payments

@unison77
Do what he said.  Or, call Steve or Billy and send it in to Cary.  A good local tech might be better if you have one around your area who does "tube amp upgrades", and you might get a better job.  17 years of good use, time for a nice refresh for your SLI-80.

Lots of nice KT88s to choose from now days, and some good 6SN7 and 12AU7s tubes while your are at it, the 2003 was V1 of that amp as I recall, and some upgrades already mentioned will help. Maybe call and get a quote.  A buddy of mine had the same amp, sold it, and bought the new one with all of the upgrades, he's super happy with it.     

I loved my former SLI-80 Signature several amps ago, tried VCAPS and Jensen PIO caps, better resistors, silver wiring, and eventually went down the path of Mundorf SESG Silver Gold EVO Supreme (non-oil) caps and never looked back. Used them on my last three amp setups.  
If you get stuck, PM me, would be glad to call and bug them for you.  They owe me some updates on classic monos I was pushing on a while back.