Luxman 441 vs. Technics SL-1200mk2 as first TT?

Hello,

I am a analog wannabe living in a country with practically no analog audiophile gear available and no current possibility of mail-ordering from abroad. Even having these inconvenience, I have not been able to stop myself from collecting old vinyl from family, friends and garage sales and now find myself in the irony of having a lot of interesting music, but nothing to play it on. Can you imagine my suffering?

Being persistent, I have hunted down these used options:
- Vintage Luxman 441 with SME III tonearm ($190). Likes: Appearance and quality. Concerns: Age, serviceability, slow resale (in my country).
- Technics SL-1200mk2 ($240). Likes: Dependability, easy to sell for a later upgrade. Concerns: Sound quality.
- Kenwood KD-5070 ($75). Likes: price, heavy corian plinth. Concerns: Automatic mechanism/stock tonearm, sound quality.
I favor the Luxman, because it is simply beautiful and it has a good tonearm, but fear that something might go wrong with the electronics and I would have to trash it, or that I would have a hard time getting rid of it for a latter upgrade. The Technics, on the other hand, can be easily sold to get my money back, but is it the sonic equal to the Luxman at the same price? The Kenwood is a distant runner-up.
TT will be used with vintage Mcintosh Pre/Amp and B&W speakers.
So there you have it. Your feedback will be VERY appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Luis

PD: I also posted in AA, but value your advice just as much.
luisnessi58b1

Showing 1 response by zaikesman

As a SL1200MkII owner, I can tell you that the TT is capable of fine sound, but I would be careful about buying one used - they're durably built, but since it is the preferred TT of DJ's, they can lead rough lives. If you can find one that you know is clean and not abused, it should serve you as well or better than anything you can get for around that money.