ls 50 metas compared to floorstanding speakers

hi - I am relatively new to hifi and in the process of upgrading to my first nice system - originally, I had decided to go with LS 50 Metas due to the raving reviews and the nice look - however, as I started to do some research I found that there are a lot of options in the Metas' range - even some floorstanding speakers - I really dig the Focal Chora 826 which also have great reviews and are actually cheaper than the KEFs - that smells a bit weird don't it? $1350-1500 for bookshelf KEFs vs. 1k for a nice pair of 3 driver flloorstanding speakers? are KEFs really that much better?
selekt86
They are far better in the nearfield. They are designed to sum their acoustical output right at the output location, versus closer to 3 meters for a 3-way speaker. In that use case, they are leagues better than a traditional 3 way vertical array (not including 3 way point source designs like the Genelec 8341 which would be better). Not to mention you could stand above and below the LS50 Metas and would still have the same output because of the uniform vertical dispersion, whereas a 3-way dome and cone speaker wouldn’t sound very good if you stood above the tweeter axis. The Focal wouldn’t even compete here.

In a large room if your listening distance is greater than 10 feet, the bigger, multi-driver speaker has a major advantage in power handling and dynamics.

Really depends on your use case.
I have the LS50 in a medium sized room but with 25+ foot ceiling. I sit nearfield and I have a very powerful integrated amp on the LS50's. I am really surprised at how loud they play and the amp I am now using is adding more bass than I ever recall. 

Someone I am conversing with was waiting on the LS50 Meta, an upgrade from the LS50. However, there were some delays so he got the KEF R3 instead.

His comment was 
The R3's are much more dynamic, easier to drive, and offer more detail than the LS50s.

are bookshelf speakers generally better for nearfield listening than 3 way speakers? what is the "boundary" between nearfield vs. not?
Nearfield means that you are sitting where you are not getting multiple wavelengths delivered to your ear. Well, in hi-fi you are always in the far field at high frequencies and always in the near field at low frequencies. So it really means, in general use, are you sitting close or far. 
are bookshelf speakers generally better for nearfield listening than 3 way speakers? what is the "boundary" between nearfield vs. not?

3-ways are perfectly fine for the nearfield in a coaxial arrangement. In a vertical array with offset drivers typically manufacturers suggest >3m listening distance for a 3-way.