lp12 ekoes troika vrs technics 1200 rb300 $1000+ca

hello

im currently exploring the idea of modding a technics sl1200mk2 with origin live collar and rega rb300, $1000.00++ cartridge of choice. Poss shelter/lyra!?? Poss power supply switch! Im currently using linn lp12 ekoes troika and love the sound but hate all the fuss and set up etc etc. will going crazy on the technics bring to a good level? please advise.
riley1

Showing 2 responses by johnnyb53

Over in the Analog Reviews section is this review and long thread about the SL1200 Mk2. One of the respondents, Jdcook, installed an RB300 on an Origin Live Technics armboard. Scroll down to his posts on the subject where he also mentions some cartridges. He settled on a Clearaudio Aurum Beta. He tried an Ortofon OM40 and didn't like it nearly as much on the RB300 as the Clearaudio.

thanx for all your input. I think your right about he technics inability to perform at a level that would be suitable to my ears after using an lp12 ekoes comboe. So now what???
If you put the Origin Live armboard on an SL1200, you're not limited to an RB300. You could use any compatible arm, which includes the JMW 9 and the other Origin Live tonearms. I'll bet the Technics with an OL Silver just kills. You can possibly improve sound and usability with the Pete Riggle Audio VTA-on-the-fly upgrade. But your post was talking about limiting outlay to $1K. For $1K you could get an SL1210 from Musicians Friend for $399 and add a heavily upgraded Origin Live OL1 tonearm. The Technics platform gives you great spinning precision and very low noise, better than you're going to find from any $400 belt-drive platform. I think you'd have to move up to at least a Funk Firm to approach it, though I'm speculating here.

Also, the Linn's strong suit is an isolating suspension. That's the Technic's weak point. You *have to* platform it properly to hear what it can do, which is considerable. I platformed mine for $70 total (brass cones + cutting board + Vibrapods).