Lp storage - location?

Hi all,

This is not a question about what works best for lp storage - lots of discussion about that i.e.. Ikea Expedit's , etc.

I have room for about 30 lp's in my entertainment unit - that houses my electronics, turntable, etc.

I also have a custom made lp box sitting beside my main rig that holds about 75 lp's. So for immediate access that's plenty.

My next decision is a space for the rest of the lp's and room for future growth.
My lovely bride has allowed me to take some space in her main floor office/reading room for lp storage. We are going to either be buying something that could be utilized for books, lp's, display, etc or have a buddy build something for us.

But I am wondering about the basement - please picture a completely finished space. All knocked out in drywall, finished ceilings, etc. Actually when down there it doesn't even seem like you're in the basement.

But it is still a basement - and basements hold onto their moisture a little bit more then the upper floors and they can generally be a few degrees cooler. We have forced air heating (natural gas) there and even auxiliary baseboard heat to take the edge off if necessary.

We use a dehumidifier in the winter and have a humidifier attached to the furnace to put moisture in for the winter. So the humidity is controlled for the most part.

Do you see any long term issue with storing lp's in the basement rec room? Do any of you store the majority of your lp's in the basement?

Any thoughts, suggestions, concerns, etc.

Feedback appreciated.

Thanks,

cat9
cat9

Showing 3 responses by tom6897

I see no problem as long as you can keep a stable level of humidity (35-45%) and temperature. Be sure to store the LP's standing up and turn them in the sleeve every other year to limit minor warp distortion. Good luck!
Thats just what I call it. I wasn't sure what the specific term was, or if one even exists! So don't bust my balls on that one :>)

I was watching a documentary about a music lover who was a Priest passed away and left a large collection of LP's to some university. Peter McGrath of Wilson speakers designed a room addition to the library to house them and set up a listening room for for students and faculty. As he was describing the room and equipment the "experts" from some preservation and archival society mentioned the steps needed to care for for such an exhaustive collection (25,000) I think??? Here are some of the guidelines I remember>>>:
Store exactly vertically to prevent warping.
Spacers are recommended for every four to six inches.
Store LPs with other LPs. Avoid mixing with other sizes such as 10″ and 7″ discs. Never use bookends.
Store on metal shelves preferably, (as opposed to wood, which expands and contracts).
Do not allow LPs to hang over the edge of shelves.
Rotate the album every other year to prevent distortion/deformity.
Remove shrink wrap from dust jackets immediately after acquiring.
Use polyethylene inner sleeves. Never use PVC sleeves as their chemical makeup is too close to vinyl and may cause imprints or fuse to the LP. Replace paper sleeves as paper deteriorates, leaving oil and paper residue.
Store in-use LPs at a temperature of 65 to 70 °F Those in long-term storage should be kept at 45 to 50 °F. Though relative humidity is considered less an issue for vinyl than other recorded media, it is recommended that LPs be stored at 35-45% RH.

Audio Preservation, A Planning Study was published in 1988.

The Preservation and Restoration of Sound Recordings (Jerry McWilliams), published in 1979 by the American Association of State and Local History, did include information about disc wear through playback, and is still a practical source of information on sound recording preservation. A comprehensive manual based on reports gathered from library professionals, sound archivists, audio engineers, and other experts, it included information on such topics as disc damage from frequency of use, stylus wear, and inferior or improperly adjusted equipment.

Additional info can be found by searching the National Recording Preservation Board archives, the Library of Congress published Preservation of Sound Recordings (A.G. Pickett and M.M. Lemcoe),

In 1986 the Association of Recorded Sound Collections (ARSC) Associated Archives (AAA) Committee received a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities to conduct an in-depth study in order to identify the problems of preservation and access for sound recordings. Their 860 page report, titled Audio Preservation, A Planning Study was published in 1988.

All of the above can make for some extremely exciting bedtime reading, Enjoy!