Low volume bookshelf spkrs that go from 20 to 20k?

Hi folks, My daughter (9 years) is a discerning listener and a trained singer. I want to reward her with a nice stereo system. We listen to music at low volumes. I plan on buying speakers on my next trip to the US (daughter can not audition speakers). I do not want to compromise on quality but have a budget of about $ 1,500 for the speakers. The size of the room is about 14 feet square.

Speaker requirements:
Freq response: Should cover the audible range (20 to 20khz). I think this will keep my daughter happy.
Model: Bookshelf preferred (small room)

My questions:
Will I need a sub to complement the bookshelf speakers?
Are there bookshelf speakers that cover 20 to 20khz?
What models would you suggest for bookshelf and if required a sub. A 220 volt power supply for the sub will be ideal but not a must.

Appreciate your suggestions.

Vish
yogananda
Vish,
I don't think it's possible to find a true bookshelf monitor that will go down to 20hz. I also don't think it's really necessary. I believe that the lowest note an electric bass can hit is 30hz, and a speaker that goes down into the upper 30's would be more than adequate unless your daughter is a bass junkie. I use a pair of monitors, JMlab Micro-Utopia that are rated to 50hz, but in room get down to about 40hz, perhaps even a bit lower, and I'm completely satified with the way music sounds, even bass heavy music. I'm no engineer, but given the small size of your room, you may not even be able to support bass notes as low as 20hz. If you truly want low bass a sub will be needed, though again in that room a good sub-free monitor may really be all that you need. At least you could start with a monitor and add a sub if needed. There are a ton of great monitors out there, in your price range perhaps something from Paradigm, PSB, or Totem might suit. I'm sure others will have other suggestions, good luck and happy listening!
Low volume listening and full range is a tall order for a bookshelf. A sub and monitors would be best. For low volume listening, I suggest you checkout the Single Driver Omega speakers or similar type speakers. They'll cover the midrange and highs very well. In fact for low volume listening a Single Driver high efficient speaker will be hard to beat.

The Super 3 XRS can be used without adding stands. This will save you money for other components. Midrange is something a speaker like this does exceptionally well on..something your daughter may appreciate.

Also being of high efficiency..you won't need much power. This opens the door for a host of affordable low wattage SETs, Battery powered amplifiers and many others that will drive the speakers nicely.
The bookshelfs speakers that will do the job are:

1. Totem Mani-2.

2. Dynaudio Special 25.

Both of them can ge bought here, used, but you may need to raise your budget. I will use the money set aside for a sub and go with either one of this two speakers. I do own the Mani-2 and they are incredible.
There is no bookshelf speaker that will provide usable response at 20hz. Also, a room that small won't allow 20hz
waves to properly propagate even if the speaker was up to it.
There are no bookshelf speakers on earth that can go to 20HZ in fact many extremely expensive speakers can't do it.

You will not need a subwoofer for a 14 foot square room. The small size and square shape will leed to severe standing waves and bass bloat.

If possible try to find a narrow floorstanding speaker system.

Resolution is the key to low volume. Resolution is dependent on the electronics. Try to find tube electronics which excel at low volumes.

Look at Dali loudspeakers which offer exceptional transparency and yet are warm and full bodied.