Low output gain amplifier for ZU 101db Efficient speakers

I am thrilled with my new Rogue RP-5 preamp. However, like I mentioned before, the tube Hiss is really loud (I can hear back of room). It’s a smooth, non noisy hiss. I chatted with Rogue and they are sending replacement tubes but guess it’s due to my Nuforce STA200 amp with output gain of 34db. I was told that was quite high for having such efficient speakers. Rogue told me they test their equipment on high efficiency Klipsch speakers and the RP5 is quiet.

Anyway, I have attenuators coming today to help until I now find a power amp. I would love to have an Atma-Spere amp, however, they are too pricey for my budget (even used). Maybe a used Firstwatt f3 or these Quicksilver monoblock amps that are made for high efficient speakers http://quicksilveraudio.com/products/horn-mono/

The lower priced Decware amps look nice, plus they have gain settings.

For those who own high efficiency speakers with a tube pre, any other options? I really hate to switch out the RP-5 because it has all the functions available on the remote and it sounds great.

aberyclark
Hi

The Quicksilver Horn Monos are great for sensitive speakers.  They have much less gain so your volume range on your pre will be normal   All of Mikes gear offers a lot for the money.  

I understand the OP has very sensitive speakers but i wanted to share my experience with "noisy tubes" .   I have a preamp that is tough on tubes,so i am familiar with what they can sound like.....

Also a dirty socket can be the problem... anyway i was chasing a noise , i couldnt tell where it was coming from.  Replaced the 6922 in my pre with Gold Lion.    Still noise.   Pulled my amps out, cleaned all sockets... replaced tubes with like new spare tubes, cleaned pins before installling.    

Noise was still there.  It sounded like a bug zapper, but at a really low level, and every few seconds.  I doubt most people would have heard it but it was driving me crazy.....

I thought i had removed every potential source of electronic noise, as only these outlets are on the breaker.  The source of the noise was one of those air fresheners that plug in to warm up the gel

Once unplugged the system was dead quiet
oddiofyl, that's exactly why many people run a separate dedicated line/circuit for their audio gear. Dimmers in particular are the worst offenders.
My citcuits are dedicated,  they have their own breaker....that scent thing was in another room
My Rp-5 is on its way back. The preamp needed to get some "op amps" replaced, LED display needed firmware re-install and a ground wire, and they installed new tubes. Rogue did hear the excessive hiss and now its quiet on their system. I'll be curious how much quieter the RP-5 is now in my system. I'll report back