Love the shelter 501MK2, what's the next step

...if I was to budget up to $5000.00....

The Shelter is currently partnered with an Oracle Delphi MK VI, SME 345 Tonearm, Sutherland PHD, Primaluna Dialogue 3 Pream, Primaluna Dialogue 7 w/KT-77 tubes, Gallo Ref 3.5 and Nordost Tyr cable all around.

I have lots of CD, I also have a Mac mini server for convenience, so when I sit down for some vinyls I do want midrange lushness, great tonal range, great depth and sound-staging.

I only got back into analog 4 years ago and I listen mostly to well recorded jazz, vocals not much Pop/Rock. I selected the shelter with a second hand Avid Diva as a starter and kept the cartridge when I move up to the Oracle a few months ago. I really like the sound, I am not looking at fixing anything in particular, just wandering if I am missing something that I don't know that I am wanting as I have not much exposure with other cartridge.

Should I stay with the shelter 501? or am I missing something? Up to 5K budget.
firewall

Showing 2 responses by rauliruegas

Dear Firewall: On that budget there are a lot of options that could outperform your 501. looking to your system seems to me that if you want to improve the analog quality perfromance level my first step ( if I was you. ) should be a better Phonolinepreamp because is here where the pick-up delicate and sensitive cartridge signal pass through a whole " hard " proccess to amplify that signal ( some times 10K times: 80dbs+. ) and must do it with adding no noise/distortions that degrade the cartridge signal. Is in this Phonolinepreamp where the cartridge signal is equalized: inverse RIAA eq. curve, to achieve a frequency response according with was in the recording and this RIAA eq. must do it with out frequency deviations that again degrade the cartridge signal.

Even that your PHD is a nice unit IMHO can't honor top LOMC cartridges for these ones can shows at its best.

In the other side and before take that " road " my advise is that you try the other analog source alternative: MM/MI, that IMHO is very good too and where you don't need to make any up-date in your system to enjoy it. This MM/MI alternative can not only even the quality perfromance of the 501 but outperform it overall. The Clearaudio Virtuoso Wood is a good place to start.. You will be surprised with its quality perfromance for less than 1K.

Regards and enjoy the music,
R.
Dear Firewall: I don't kniow if your PHD can honor a different cartridge in better way but what I'm sure is that a better Phonolepreamp can improve your overall system quality performance including ( obviously ) that 501.
in the other side I don't see a trouble with your SME 345.

Regards and enjoy the music,
R.