LOUNDSPEAKER FOR $10,000.00 PER PAIR

I currently have the Triton 5's Loudspeakers, Marantz SA14S, SACD player, Thor Audio tube Tp-150 monoblocks,
Thor line stage with 2 SVS sealed subwoofers.  Seeking better sound. My short list of loudspeakers are as
follows:

1. Golden Ear Technology Reference
2. Revel F228 BE
3. Focal Kanta 2
Any suggestions would be appreciated.  
128x128kjl1065
Even after speaker placement, my Legacy Focus speakers needed Hallographs to focus the sound.  The name of the speaker is not the end all in imaging until tweaks are added to the room acoustics.  Totally opposite omni speakers like the Carver Amazing Speakers.
@fleschler I totally agree about room treatments. Also important is, even minor, adjustments to speaker placement....Jim

What I was explaining is that one can obtain 50% of the best audio reproduction system can offer at $50,000 for analog or less for digital.  Treating the room acoustics is where one should start and a good sounding room lowers the cost.
@fleschler $1.5 million Von Schweikert Ultra 11/VAC 450IQ/Kronos system
The next time I have an extra $1.5 million and a concert sized hall to fill, I'll have to pick up one of those systems. For now, in my little 14'x26' music room, I'll stick with a nice pair of stats or ribbons.
If I had an extra $100K, I wouldn't mind a pair of the VAC 450IQs though....Jim
>>Nothing in this hobby looses value like speakers!<<

Except for cables
jhills  The only system that I've heard out of maybe 500 systems that sounded like the live event, regardless of complexity and dynamics of music was the $1.5 million Von Schweikert Ultra 11/VAC 450IQ/Kronos system heard at every major show in the past several years to universal acclaim.   To be used in large rooms only.  
Otherwise, with proper room acoustics and judicious use of tweaks including Hallographs, Synergistic Research HFTs and Omega E-Mats, I've achieved next to high end sound (missing are about 50% of the $1.5 million system dynamics, openess, resolution, frequency response) using a pair of Legacy Focus speakers.  I think that finely designed and made older speakers can achieve a very high level of music reproduction.   It will cost me $50-$60K for a new pair of Von Schweikert V55s or Luminwhite Kyaras to better my Focus significantly.  If you have a smaller room, a used pair of Legacy Signature IIIs could run you $1500 to $2000, very efficient so that a ss 1978 Yamaha CR620 can give you great sound and dynamics on the cheap.
I have a pair of dunlary sc-v you might like for 10k. I don't think you can get a better sounding speaker. You just need the room for these three hundred pound  6ft.tall   Babies.
Nothing in this hobby looses value like speakers! That's great if your looking to buy. In many cases top notch speakers sell for less than 20% of the original retail price. Look around. There's deals a plenty. Good luck Joe
kjl1065
Sorry, not sure what the size of your listening room is (I don't think you mentioned) but when referring to my space I'm thinking of a medium sized room - mine is approx. 14'x26' with12' cathedral ceiling.
In 45 years of audio, I've heard few speakers, at any price, that can re-create the full scope, stage and timber of a live orchestral performance, live chamber performance, live street corner jazz, etc - in a medium to large room - as well as a properly set up, large pair of stats or ribbons....JMO
Sound Lab (www.soundlab-speakers.com) also makes some very fine ESLs, that present an incredibly large holographic and detailed stage. You can find either new or used, within the 10k range, with several different sizes, depending on the space you have to fill...Jim
For my space, either nicely refurbished Apogee Duetta Signatures or the Magnapan 3.7is - both are under 10K.
I also would consider the Quad ESL-2912 or the Spatial Audio X2 Modular - both right at 10K....Jim

I concur with @bullitt5094. I am an extremely happy owner of the first pair of the Tekton Design Encores which run $8500 and are basically miniature versions of the Tekton Design Ulfberhts which is normally a $12500 speaker, but currently are only $9000 in soft-gloss black. You are getting more than half the money you’re are spending on the drivers alone. This is unheard of in high-end audio where you are lucky to get a parts count equaling 10-20% of the total price you are paying for the speakers. What’s more important though is they are one of the most efficient, transparent, detailed, live-sounding, and coherent speakers on the market. After 30 years in high end audio this is the best speaker I’ve ever heard at such a ridiculous affordable price point when compared to speakers costing many times their price and that give you a lot less for your money. They are spooky good at all types of music at any volume level with whatever amplification you choose. I run my Encores with either an 8wpc SET tube amplifier or a pair of 700wpc Nords depending on my mood or the music I’m listening to with amazing results. The MTM array made up entirely of tweeters is extremely low in distortion in the critical midrange and up (300hz-20khz) and with it being a 4-way design you will not want for anything in the mid-bass or deep-bass region! They are incredibly coherent, create a solid 3D wall of sound, and are electrostatic-like in presentation with the dynamics of horns using conventional drivers. Goodluck with your search!
ozzy Thanks for letting me know.  Those speakers are "Amazing."   Hearing them at Weinhart's with analog jazz was like I walked into the room with the performers in front of me, walking across his large listening room.  I'm glad the speakers are still in production.  

I like Magnepan's to a certain degree, particularly enjoy them with small music ensembles and vocalists.  However, on dynamic, big orchestral music and dynamic, bass heavy rock, not so much.  I haven't heard the latest 30.7, but I heard the 20.7 and 3.7.  My wife had me get rid of ML Monolith IIIs when I met her 21 years ago because she said they lacked bass and dynamics for her rock.  I think that might apply to Magnepans as well.
Have you listened to any speakers from Magnepan. 
I’m not familiar with the pricing of their current lineup but I’ve always understood their speakers are an excellent value for the soundstage in which they can reproduce. 

I hope that helps. 
kj1065

None of the above. I have not spent much time with the Devore O/93's but I have heard them at the RMAF. I think they would lots of fun to own. 

I was a dealer for Wilson Benesch. Hard to go wrong there. 
fleschler,

Just got an email back from Jordon (Carver) he says David Weinhart and Carver had a bit of a falling out. The speakers are still current production.

ozzy
Dave Weinhart may have mentioned it. He won’t be carrying the speaker after he sells his last but that was about six months ago. It’s still listed among his speaker line on his website.
Where did you hear that? I have talked to Bob several times of late and he never mentioned it. 
Like I stated, they are switching the sub to another type, perhaps that is what you heard?

ozzy
I know.  I heard it with RELs and it didn't mate well.  I would have liked to hear it with the Carver subs.  I heard that Carver is discontinuing the speaker.  Too bad, it was very nice to listen to anywhere in the room.
fleschler,

The Carvers come with a subwoofer. However, I'm still waiting for my sub. I've been told they are changing the type of sub that is supplied. 
For the meantime I own several JL F-113 subs that integrate very well with them.

ozzy
I’ve heard the Carver’s at David Weinhart Audio. The omni sound was controlled so that imaging and soundstaging was pinpoint accurate and amazing. It will fill the room with an orchestra; however, while fantastic in the mids and highs, it needs a subwoofer for bass. Maybe difficult to mate.

I own a pair of used Legacy Focus (about $2500 w/2 on Audiogon now) and Signature IIIs. Both can throw a big sound and dynamic with low wattage amps. They are a bargain. I have 42,000 LPs/CD/78s with a large collection of opera and orchestral music (maybe 25% of the total). I recommend them if you can tolerate a large speaker but don’t want to lay out big bucks on amps. The Textons I’ve heard have a small listening area so they aren’t for me.
Klipschorns ? too room dependent. same with Martin Logans, Maggies sound great, but can they rock?The journey is more fun than the destination I think.
You could get a whole range of great dynamic loudspeaker pairs. Ive heard a lot. 801s, meridian d6000, duntech, avalon. Hard to choose. Or you could get Quads and escape the chaos of ear fatigue. No headaches and because they are limited dinamically in comparison to regular woofers and tweeters (although you can cross them with your sw) they will save your from hearing damage. You can be sure that you will be hearing everything as the engineer intended it. Speaking of engineers, it's what they use at Phillips, reference recordings, chesky and others. 
With those tube amps, for $9000 plus tax the best choice is Klipschorns - the realism is startling over the other mentioned speakers.
 @steve59 , you can try my Triangle-001 in you room (free .no obligation 
yo buy    Greg
I decided on $10k for speakers, but decided on NOT paying dealer markup and settled on what I consideded the best sounding used speakers were. My first choice was Vienna acoustics The Music. I settled for the Revel Salon2. Contenders Kef R 207/2, Dynaudio's, and while I really was impressed with the Raidho presentation I would need to hear that sound 'in my room' b4 investing so much money.
I have auditioned the Magico A3.  It is the real deal.  (I am running Triangle Magellan Cello's but I would swap them for the A3's in an instant.)
Post removed 
@ motobman  Brett, i really appreciate you feedback.   i thinking to build
bigger model  with 2 10" Vifa  NE 265-8ohm  , see what happened
 Greg 
BTW! I drive my PSB Image Tower 3’s with the Prima Luna HP Integrated and I have never felt the need for more power....although I am about to upgrade the PL with 8 KT 150’s and a couple of Brimar cv 4003’s......just because I can, and because Kevin Deal approves!!  😂😂

Cheers
You may also want to check out the PSB Image Tower 3’s. They have received the (one in every 10 years best speakers) and (you would have to spend 2-3 more to better) You can read the reviews on the PSB website. (TAS, Stereophile, HiFI+) they are easy to drive and work wonderful with a variety of music. They then improve by another order of magnitude when you place Isoacoustics GAIA’s under them.

cheers
Check out the Bache Audio Tribeca-001 with dual 8's!  Greg was a pleasure to deal with and they will custom make any type of color/wood.  They sound amazing, so detailed and blow away all of my other towers I have tried.  Save yourself some money and try out a pair for under $6000!  Love the size, they really don't take up much of a footprint at all, and are the best addition to my audio room!  I have a Bryston 4B3 hooked up to a Parasound PreAmp and Yamaha high end SACD player.  Greg at Bache Audio in NYC has the best communication, awesome packing, and use only top notch components.  I may even have him build me a pair of bookshelves to match!   -Brett
+1 on the Revels.I've had Triton 2+ and 3+. I like the Revel better. Have F52, F206, F208 and now the M128Be. Heard Focal at an audio show.All good speakers. But F228Be is the correct answer IMHO.
I will echo what jdt7385 said on the Revels.  I have Salon2's, and they sound truly incredible once I got my room acoustics sorted out.  I have listened to the F228 BE's, and they have most of the best traits of the Salon2's.  If precise imaging and linearity are at the top of your list, then I would say the F228 BE's are a great choice at that price point.  The Revel's are power hogs, particularly in the bass.  However, if you have a good crossover to feed your subs and offload some of the bass from the Revels, then they mate better with most amps in my experience.  Good luck!!!
I recently purchased the Focal Kanta 2 and have been very pleased with their sound. I listened to a lot of speakers within the price range of $10 to $15k and thought they were the best value. I also did a listening comparison between the Focal Kanta 2 and the Sopra 2 and didn’t think the difference justified the cost. I purchased them from Upscale. 
You were bound to get a zillion recommendations--but what i would recommend depends on the listening room--is it big, medium, small?
@dznutz...……………………………

2 different threads, the exact same post.  Trying to sell your speakers.  We have a place for that called "The Classifieds."  You can purchase an ad for $4.00  for 30 days.  Kindly do that if you haven't already.
Focal stuff is very 'true'....
upscale audio is running a sale at the moment.
one notch above the Kanta is the Electra 1038be...based on the utopia drivers.
as opposed to the Kantas being based on the next lower driver..Flax.
the 1038be are usually $9999
on sale now for 6999
they even have refurbished for 5949 !
https://www.upscaleaudio.com/collections/focal/products/focal-electra-1038-be-loudspeakers-pair?vari...
I think if you leave this thread up long enough you will get a recommendation for almost anything on the market at that price point. You really need to do some legwork and figure out what aspects of reproduction are the most important to you and then focus on models that XL at that.  
 For example imaging and sound staging are very important to me so I love point source speakers such as Tannoy altec 604. Or maybe I would be tempted to try out a magna pan.But reading this thread there reccomendations that I really disliked.  So while people rarely agree on what's best I think you get more consensus on what is best at certain aspects of reproduction. 
@ebm - I have heard the S5 MkII with 500 watt tube/class D hybrid monoblocks from Arion Audio.  Seemed like a good combo to me.
I would totally agree that Magico needs big power ss to sound there best.However I'm fairly certain there are some high power tube amps that may work well on the A3s.However  they did sound there best at Axpona with Dan Ds big ss amps.
Prof it is impossible to properly tune an omni, the effects of toe in do not apply to such a design, and for most people roon reflections will create a wide but unfocused image as you will be producing new sound sources via reflections, a well damped room and the right place in the room is crucial.

Have heard MBL many times over the years, they are one of the best of these types of designs, howerver, yet to hear a set whose image is believable most of the times the image is too large and lacks the pin point focus of the really good dynamic designs. The Mbls do have very good clarity and are very open which is a positive.

EBM  Magico is a another love hate brand, many people find the Magico's boring and lifeless, also will they really work well on a tube amp, most Magico demos use high powered solid state.

We haven't heard the new A3 which may be tuned differently.

With a tube amp the great matches have been the Focals, Legacy, the Persona 3F from Paradigms are also amazing with the right tube amplifer. 
Tektons would also work.

If the OP has GE and wants more clarity then a speaker with higher technology/better implimented drivers will be the key, most of the less expensive Chinese sourced Heil drivers or Ribbons or Planner Ribbons Hybrids do not have the upper octave detail, we had the same tweeters Carver used in our much more expensive Scaenas and they did not have amazing detail, slightly soft in the upper octaves.

If the OP craves more detail then the Sopra 2, the Paradigm 3/5F should be on the top of his list.

Dave and Troy
Audio Doctor NJ
I would certainly put Magico A3s on my short list.They have sold over 750 pairs thus far but you must match them with the best amp, preamp and cables. Don't  listen to the Magico detractors listen for yourself.I would certainly not listen to dealers with something to sell you.Good luck whatever you get and please let us know.Thanks!!
Ulfberht in soft-gloss black - $9000 Pair on special. I own them. They are an amazing value at their normal $12K price but you have to have enough room for them. They are large speakers.
http://www.tektondesign.com/specials.html
A good general rule when considering loudspeakers:  Any really fine pair of transducers should be able to realistically reproduce all genres of music.  In the case of smaller monitors or stand mounted speakers, augmenting the bass with quality subwoofers can get you there.  Never buy speakers that do not sound good with a particular genre of music as you never know what music you may be exposed to that floats your boat and you might want to listen to on a regular basis.
audiotroy,

I believe you’ve made those statements about omnis before, and my reply this time will be similar.

As for "love/hate" thing, I’ve rarely (actually never) encountered someone who hated my omnis, and rarely seen anyone state a hate for omnis in general.

I think the omins that most people are aware of, and most encounter at shows, are the MBLs. They get some bad comments, but usually those are confined to remarks about tonal balance (’too bright’) or the volume (they were played too loud! As we know MBL for some reason loves to crank their demos).

But MBL also get tons of rave comments, and being so expensive most people don’t go on to own them. Rarely do I see people saying they "hated" the MBL or an omni due to, for instance, the imaging - usually that’s one of their most impressive characteristics.

As to unfocused, that like any speaker depends on the set up, room etc.My MBL 121s do not strike me as unfocused (and I have some of the most focused-imaging speakers out there, in the Thiel 3.7s/2.7s). Their imagine sounds to me quite natural. (My room is pretty well damped, which would contribute to this). Listening to some well recorded vocal tracks (for instance one album, a tribute to Nick Drake in an Elizabethan style, with voices recorded in a great acoustic space), vocalists sound more like hearing real people (with eyes closed) than on any other speaker I’ve owned. That wouldn’t be the case if they didn’t image accurately or realistically.

And I’ve heard the MBL 101s in well treated rooms, in which their imaging was as realistic, in terms of palpably focused images of voices and instruments, as any speaker I’ve heard.

Just adding some more user experience to the conversation.

@Dave & Troy - Have you actually heard the current line of Ohm Walsh speakers?  (To quote JGH, "if you haven't heard it, you don't have an opinion.")  Yes, they are not everyone's cup of tea, which is why I suggested a home audition rather than an unauditioned purchase for the OP (who, like anyone else, won't know if they love them or hate them until they hear them).  FYI, the Ohms are not full omnis.  They have attenuated rear propagation, and a conventional dome tweeter.  IME, and I have owned the 2000s since 2009 when they first went into production, they are capable of producing fairly solid images of performers within the soundstage.  No, these images are not lazer-sharp, but again, IME, they mimic the sort of imaging one hears in a live performance.  Yes, much of the sound is reflected off of the room walls, but the designer clearly factored this in to the design, with, to my tastes, excellent results.  I cannot speak for other brands, but owners of conventional and panel speakers who have been to my home to hear my Ohm Walsh 2000s have generally been impressed, although, as you said, they are not for everyone.  No speaker is.

My impression of the Carver Amazings, which I heard at the 2016 Chester Group show in NYC, was very favorable.  YMMV, of course. 

To the OP:  Auditioning is indeed extremely important.  Furthermore, auditioing in your own home, with your own gear, and with your own music, is, IMHO, essential to making the best possible purchase of a loudspeaker that you will be happy with in the long term.  If you go the B&M dealer route, insist on such an in-home demo for at least a few days if not a few weeks, not simply a brief in home demo with a dealer hovering, and telling you what you are hearing, rather than your own ears doing that.  In your price range, you should find dealers who will accomodate this for you.  

Hi, The speaker that impressed me the most with symphonic music is the Shahinian Diaposon Ensemble. You can find a used pair for under $10,000.
Good Luck, Tish