Loudness or high sensitive speakers?

Loudness is used for low volume listening. 
But high sensitive speakers are also said to be good for low level listening.
So either I can have speakers with, say 89dB sensitivity and use a amplifier with a loudness button or just have really sensitive speakers.
And both ways will sound good at low volume. Right? Just as good? Or...? 

simna

I think you’re mixing apples and oranges.

Higher sensitivity speakers will produce a higher sound level with the same power input as a lower sensitivity speaker.

Loudness functions adjust the EQ.

From Sweetwater.com: Fletcher and Munson were researchers in the ’30s who first accurately measured and published a set of curves showing the human ear’s sensitivity to loudness verses frequency. They conclusively demonstrated that human hearing is extremely dependent upon loudness. The curves show the ear to be most sensitive to sounds in the 3kHz to 4kHz area. This means sounds above and below 3–4kHz must be louder in order to be heard just as loud. For this reason, the Fletcher-Munson curves are referred to as “equal loudness contours.” They represent a family of curves from “just heard,” (0dB SPL) all the way to “harmfully loud” (130dB SPL), usually plotted in 10dB loudness increments. Though the Fletcher-Munson Curves are by far the most widely known contours, there have been others defined in recent years that some engineers think are more accurate.

I've never heard that highly sensitive speakers are good at low volume but I can believe it.  My current speakers are high sensitivity.  

However, I have a second set of speakers, poor sensitivity, but sound great at low volume.  Martin Logan Electrostats.  The bigger the panel the better.

Jerry

I can only offer what I experienced first hand.   I had a large pair of Usher floor standers and even with beefy, mono block amps the speakers needed to played at moderate volume to sound full and have proper bass.   I now have Tekton Lore speakers that are efficient powered by a Rega integrated amp.   Difference is these speakers produce full sound, good bass even at low volume.   Being in my 50s my hearing is not what it use to be and I try to avoid moderate to loud music to avoid ringing in my ears.

I’ve read, at many places, that high sensitive speakers will sound more ”full” at low volumes than other speakers. I assumed it was so. Even pdspeci experiences this.

But if high sensitive speakers are not the solution and the almost extinct loudness button is what to do then?

I don’t understand why ”audiophiles” has cursed the wonderful loudness button that almost every receiver had in the 70s and 80s.

Would it be possible to buy an old amplifier/receiver, take out the loudness ”part” and install it in a modern amplifier?