LOUDEST Concert and Tinnitus

This is a two part question.

1. What is the loudest concert (or event) that you have attended?

2. How long have you had tinnitus, is it getting better or worse and how are you dealing with it?

Personally, the loudest concert was UB40 at the Queen Elizabeth Theatre in Vancouver. Loudest event was drag racing at SIR (Seattle International Raceway) which was like sticking your head in a jet engine.

Regarding tinnitus. Over the past year or so I have noticed a constant high pitched "sound" in my ears. Mostly the left ear. At this point I don't actually know if it is constant or whether I just forget about it sometimes. I know use a white noise box when I go to sleep. Otherwise I tend to fixate on the ringing.

128x128tony1954

Showing 1 response by martinb0820

I attended way too many loud concerts in the 60’s and 70’s. Many of them were in large (for those days) venues - the Spectrum and original Electric Factory at 22nd and Arch in Philadelphia (saw Jefferson Airplane at both - most memorably the Electric Factory, in 1968), Baltimore Civic Center (as it was then known) - that somewhat mitigated the sound intensity via cubic footage and crowd size.

It was the smaller venues that exacted their toll, mostly due to Hot Tuna. I saw them at Ryder College in NJ in a small auditorium (loud!) They played almost all night at The Academy of Music (now the Palladium) in New York in the early 70’s; it was so painfully loud that my ears didn’t stop ringing for days. (I saw them at the Scottish Rite Auditorium in NJ in 2014 and 2015. They weren’t as loud as they had been “back in the day”, but my wife and I came equipped with ear protection just in case.)

I also had an Olds W31 that I ran with open headers, mostly at Atco Dragway in South Jersey. The ends of the header collectors were right under the front seats, and even with a helmet it was like being in a closed oil drum that was being whacked with baseball bats thousands of times a minute.

My tinnitus has been present for so long that I can’t actually remember when it started; maybe 10 - 15 years ago. It’s in both ears and loud, but not something I tend to dwell on. I have noted that some things make it worse, for example NSAID medications. When listening to music at home, a moderate Scotch, etc. helps mitigate the tinnitus (although it seems to make it a little worse the next day - a relatively small price to pay, I guess).

I have also found that my hearing anomalies make me extremely sensitive to distortion in recorded music. In response, I have put together a system that is very clean sounding and prefer AAD CDs, Qobuz 24bit/192K recordings and really cleanly mastered vinyl.