Is it near any modems or cordless phones or any other devices that broadcast a signal? I once had a preamp that was sensitive to a cordless phone even when it was not in active use.
11 responses Add your response
Nothing else is different except that I left the tube pre on, too long, and something overheated. I would be willing to replace the Power supply Caps (15-20 years old) myself if someone could tell me the that is probably the real problem. I can do that part easily but I just can’t diagnose the problem.
I would’ve suspected tubes too. But I did have a tube headphone amp that did exactly as you describe, and it turned out to be the recently upgraded output caps that were getting more voltage than their rating, and breaking down. These pops can be VERY damaging to your speakers tweeters, though you may have a tube amp that will at least mitigate some of the DC.
I don’t expect Rogue would make a rookie mistake like this, so it could just be a faulty part.