Lost in the Powercord Jungle

I am interested in upgrading my stock powercords and am totally confused by all the ads, claims and choices available. All the sales hype makes me sketical. I would like to ask my fellow Audiogner's what they might suggest for my system and any experiences they have had with thier powercords. I am searching for a more open sound with more dynamics and greater detal. My budget would need to be around $1.5k max per cord. I have the Mark Levinson Model 32 Reference preamp, Model 30.6 DAC, Model 31.5 Transport. My power amps are Krell FPB 350 MC monoblocks with hard wired cords. (should I change these out and have a 20amp EIC male socket installed to allow the use of an upgraded powercord?) Finally, all my speaker and I/C's are Transparent Reference XL and speakers are Dynaudio Temptations.

Thank you in advance for your input!

Dan
piperdan

Showing 3 responses by tok20000

Peersonally, this might sound like very strange advice, but I would start by trying out some inexpensive ($100-$300 used) aftermarket cords. Get a couple used here at Audiogon for 50% retail or so. See what you think of these cords. If you hear some differences that will be good; however, it will not prepare you for what you will hear as you move up the quality scale of power cords. After you have a grasp of what these cords do, it is time to move up to a cord that is a little higher quality.

I would progress to maybe an Audience or Acoustic Zen AC cable or maybe a Cardas. Make sure you get it used at a good price, so if you do not like it, you can always sell it. Or you can do the Cable Company route.

I do not recommend that you go straight to the cream of the crop of power cords. Why? This is hobby that is about learning. And if you start with something that may sound awesome, you might just stop there. However... you might have been able to get close or even better sound from a power cord that was a lot less $$$. Knowlege is power. And, if you try a number of inexpensive power cords, you will very much appreciate (or hate) very pricey power cords. Think of the decision this way... When you started out in audio, did you start with ML amps? This hobby is a journey, enjoy the ride.

I will say this about power cords in conclusion... There seems to be a point at which the men are separated from the boys. Basically, there seems to be an extreme gap in performance between what I would call entry level/mid level cords and the really high quality ones. This is a big gap, and if you pay full retail, you could pay A LOT for this extra performance. An example would be the BMI Whale Elite mk2 and the Shark. The Whale is not a bad power cord. It is a little better than most power cords that run about $300 or so retail (the Whale retailed for something like $1k or so...). The perfonmance/sonic difference between the Whale and the Shark is a HUGE margin. Of coarse retail on the Shark is something like $3500 (only a fool would pay this much) for 6'. At Audiogon one can be had for $800 or so. If you stick a Whale on on your source, you may thing the sound was a ltered a little. If you stick a Shark on your source, you may need to confirm you are using the same source (it could easily sould like you just got a $2000+ upgrade to your source).

KF
Jsteigert, I know Dan's system is sensative enough to respond by a long shot. He has some very nice pieces in his system. Just putting a great power cord on his ML transport would totally transform his system's sound (I have a friend with a ML transport, and he just got a Shark power cord that he is 100% ga ga over).

:-)

KF
I like Virtual Dynamics AC cords a lot as well (I have three Nite AC cords in my system now... all I can say is wow!). However, I still think you should dabble with some lesser power cords so you really know what kinds of differences their are between different cords.

KF